Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

HARD left steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...k-failure.html
Old 11-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. The more info I get the more I think that rack is the culprit.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...k-changes.html

darkman posted this up on the other forum
Old 11-11-2014, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rack, mine was same, hard one way, that little gear binds up and it's hard to steer one way, hopefully it doesn't bind up completely around a turn! That was my fear, I got a new one from Napa for 260, I wouldn't order one offline, mine leaked once it was in and Napa git me a new one next day, offline you won't get that. Worth the little extra,imo

Btw mine didn't leak any fluid,(only internal) and that gear was binding up
Old 11-11-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Also I could feel mine unbound as I came out of corners, (free up a little) the more you turned to the left the harder it got,

Is yours doing this?
Old 11-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Yup mine does the same thing WS6Turbo. Its a lil better at first but then gets very hard to turn. I'm glad someone else has had this problem. I'm now very sure it's the rack and now I'm off to try and find one. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CTSVGuy001
Yup mine does the same thing WS6Turbo. Its a lil better at first but then gets very hard to turn. I'm glad someone else has had this problem. I'm now very sure it's the rack and now I'm off to try and find one. Thanks for the help.
Glad I could help, I would strongly encourage you to get one locally (incase you need to exchange the new one) I had to the same day I put it in it leaked
Old 11-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Teching In

yea I'm getting it from Auto Zone. Lil pricey but that a lifetime warranty.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

yea I'm getting it from Auto Zone. Lil pricey but that a lifetime warranty.
Worth it tho..., I find napas parts to be more quality and there knowledge is way better than most autozones (usually AutoZone has some dumb *****) you know, the guys you wanna pull over the counter because they can't cross reference **** and can only find a part by year make and model...
Old 11-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Napa doesn't have that part. called them and they said no go on it so I'm getting it from Auto Zone. They have an online special where you get 20% off. Question, would the sensor on the rack failing cause my problems?
Old 11-12-2014, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Napa doesn't have that part. called them and they said no go on it so I'm getting it from Auto Zone. They have an online special where you get 20% off. Question, would the sensor on the rack failing cause my problems?

Napa can special order anything but then you gota pay ahead and it's a lot more... sounds like your off to a good start, it's a mechanical issue not you sensor, if you have ever seen a rack apart you would know which little gear binds up,,its the one at the end of the steering shaft where it goes in the rack. Oversteering can cause the seals to pop and leak internally than that gear binds up, or it just happens over time
Old 11-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Alright thanks man. When I called Napa they didn't give me the option to order it and it's not on their website either. Looks like they don't have it anymore. But yea thanks for the info on the rack. Everything is leading to the rack failing so that's my next move. I'm ordering another rack tomorrow and I plan on putting it in Sunday. Any tips on the install?
Old 11-12-2014, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Alright thanks man. When I called Napa they didn't give me the option to order it and it's not on their website either. Looks like they don't have it anymore. But yea thanks for the info on the rack. Everything is leading to the rack failing so that's my next move. I'm ordering another rack tomorrow and I plan on putting it in Sunday. Any tips on the install?
Well mine's a ws6 trans am so it's gona be different but it should all be straight forward, just mark every thing so your alignment ain't completely off(you will know where to realign rods), and make sure you wheel is strait,when tightening it all up...

Only other tip I have is check the cap and seal around the gear (make sure it's not leaking any and is tight looking) this is where mine was leaking after I got it in... reman racks are rebuilt and one of the main parts replaced is that gear and seal, so if it's a reman just look it over good(if I would have looked mine over before installing I would have seen the leak and could have exchanged it rite then and there,instead of having to remove it again,

Ul need a alignment
Also make sure you have your best tires up front (some places won't do a alignment if tires are worn.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Awesome. Thanks bro.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:12 PM
Teching In

***UPDATE***
I had to take it to my buddy'shop to get it done. WARNING: If you feel a click in your steering wheel while turning your rack may be going out. It's fixed and that click I felt is totally gone. The steering is very very smooth and I know V owners who haven't had a problem with steering already know this. I just wanted to put that out there for everyone to see. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

***UPDATE***
I had to take it to my buddy'shop to get it done. WARNING: If you feel a click in your steering wheel while turning your rack may be going out. It's fixed and that click I felt is totally gone. The steering is very very smooth and I know V owners who haven't had a problem with steering already know this. I just wanted to put that out there for everyone to see. Thanks.
Glad too hear..nothin like a smooth rack! Lol

Quick Reply: HARD left steering