Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed on the manifold reference and hell ya thank you for pointing me to the patch
No problem.

I received the PWM module yesterday. I will likely hold off on install until I get a long weekend as I will have to redo all my tuning and I have some drivability tweaks I want to check out first.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sssnake
No problem.

I received the PWM module yesterday. I will likely hold off on install until I get a long weekend as I will have to redo all my tuning and I have some drivability tweaks I want to check out first.
Looking forward to the results, write up and installation instructions
I'm interested in adding a pwm if it's feasible as an addition to what I'm working on.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

More good news!!!

Holley HydraMat™ Update

The moment that you have been anxiously awaiting is just about here! The shapes and sizes of the Holley HydraMat have been determined and we will begin shipping them on May 1, 2015. With 13 different HydraMats, you can be sure that there is a HydraMat to fit your needs! Without further ado, here are links to each HydraMat!

To browse the entire HydraMat lineup at once, just click HERE. To see the individual HydraMats, check out the following links.
15" x 8", cross
11" x 11", cross
15" x 15", cross
15" x 15", square
15" x 3", rectangle
15" x 8", cross
11" x 11", square
24" x 15", rectangle
30" x 14", rectangle (ARCA-spec part)
30" x 14", rectangle (Center and side pickups)
30" x 14", rectangle (Center and one side pickups)
8" x 3", rectangle
8" x 8", cross
Surface tension and fluid wicking are two key aspects that give it the amazing ability to draw fuel from nearly any area of the mat that has contact with fuel. When the HydraMat has contact with fuel, it stores the fuel in an internal reservoir. As an area of the HydraMat is uncovered, the tiny pores of the media seal off through surface tension, forcing fuel to be contained in the reservoir and drawn from other areas of the mat where fuel is available. The sheer size and coverage area of the HydraMat allows it to pull fuel from virtually any area in the tank or cell eliminating the need for specialty reservoirs and pick up pumps saving cost and greatly reducing complexity.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

That is literally making my head spin. Now making me rethink my whole fuel system.
Maybe a pwm single large pump like the walbro 460 and hydra mat..,,
Damn
Or
An external hooked to the hydramat, doesn't get much simpler than that...

Last edited by tommycompton; 03-13-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:57 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks as if I'll be movin forward with the external mount DW300! No more current in the tank!
Old 03-13-2015, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks as if I'll be movin forward with the external mount DW300! No more current in the tank!
Yeah this has me re-thinking as well. If you can get away from the inefficiency of the bucket plus impart little to no heat with an external pump then that is hard to resist. Either way I am happy to have the PWM system in hand and ready to go.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

My idea right now is, installing a bulk head near the bottom of the tank, and running 2 smaller hydramats on each side of the tank Y'd together, To an external mana fuel 625.
On the return y block it in the tank, spitting fuel to both socks on each side of the hump.
Gut the stock bucket and use it for the fuel level float only.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Holley is back ordered on the hydra mat, but should shipping out more on the 17th.
I measured the bottom of the tank and it looks like two of the 15"x8", X shaped ones would be a good fit. I was thinking of hard lining the two together, then hard lined to the bulkhead. I'd do ptfe braided lines, but not sure how it would hold up submerged, I wouldn't want to be going in there every couple years to replace it.
But damn that hydra mat ain't cheap.
Anybody want to buy 2 racetronix 255's and a kenne bell bap? Lol
Also a have a slightly used aeromotive 340.

Last edited by tommycompton; 03-14-2015 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-14-2015, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tommycompton
The return is recirculating heated fuel from the fuel rails directly back into the bucket, not something I want. Is a cooler needed, maybe not, but it definitely won't hurt.
I'm a spectator in this thread - full of goodies! In interested in the cooler, not for my needs but for the innovation and results. It was a passing thought when I did my fuel system and never revisited it. I did a very classic and reliable fuel mod using twin pumps.

Looks like this thread is gonna bear some fruit and bring the V1 fuel system to the next level - great work!
Old 03-19-2015, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Just got off the phone from a tech from Holley as I had questions about connecting the mats together. My question was if one side of the hump tank was dry, would the hydramat suck air from the dry side, introducing air into the fuel system. He assured me it would not, and that teeing the two together would Infact work for a saddle shaped tank.
From inspecting the tank it looks like a bulk head connection would probably be needed for each side of the tank, rather than hard lining inside the tank. I don't think there is enough room to feed a fitting and mat over the hump from inside, the space is very tight. So I may make a second access panel under the seat to access the other side of the tank, through the other side tank opening, it's that or drop the tank.
I was going to install the dual pumps and slowly work on this, but I'm torn on doing this now, and selling off my parts for the dual pump ( need to recoup some cash).
Old 04-13-2015, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

WHile trying to track down a lean hot restart issue I noticed my FP vary from 52 psi to 64 psi and the resultant open loop lambda jump nearly 10% itself. No bueno, especially for an FI car. The vaporworx module is sitting on the shelf while I tried to decide on my path forward (external pump with hydramat or internal pump/pumps). I think I will go with the internal pump but with hydramat to avoid our bucket issues. That leaves me with how to plumb everything.

From inspecting the tank it looks like a bulk head connection would probably be needed for each side of the tank, rather than hard lining inside the tank.
Tommy are you suggesting an external connection between the two mats (I assume so with the bulkhead statement)? Why not an internal connection (you would still have to cut the access door to get to the drivers side of the tank)? It seems to me this would be the preferred method except for the potential cost of the submersible fuel hose as this keeps the fuel from abrading against the top of the tank and bottom of the cabin/seat. Just trying to figure out if you saw something I did not...

BTW - Damn hydramat is pricey.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

WHile trying to track down a lean hot restart issue I noticed my FP vary from 52 psi to 64 psi and the resultant open loop lambda jump nearly 10% itself. No bueno, especially for an FI car. The vaporworx module is sitting on the shelf while I tried to decide on my path forward (external pump with hydramat or internal pump/pumps). I think I will go with the internal pump but with hydramat to avoid our bucket issues. That leaves me with how to plumb everything.

Tommy are you suggesting an external connection between the two mats (I assume so with the bulkhead statement)? Why not an internal connection (you would still have to cut the access door to get to the drivers side of the tank)? It seems to me this would be the preferred method except for the potential cost of the submersible fuel hose as this keeps the fuel from abrading against the top of the tank and bottom of the cabin/seat. Just trying to figure out if you saw something I did not...

BTW - Damn hydramat is pricey.
There is an access on the drivers side too, it is just like the fuel pump bucket side, it's for a fuel level sensor on that side of the tank.
The reason I was thinking of plumbing on the outside with bulk heads is, there is barely enough room to get a hose over the hump let alone anything with fittings, such as the hydra mat, so either way you'd probably have to access the other side of the tank to plumb it all together.
I'm for the time being going forward with dual intank 255 with return. I'll rethink the hydramat if I run into problems. Couldn't justify spending the extra cash right after I just bought all the things to do the fuel system.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Gotcha thanks
Old 04-14-2015, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

So... quick question.

I'm going to have my car in the dealership for the fuel pump module recall. I currently have a Magnavolt (works without issues) hooked up to my car.

The Tech asked if I had any aftermarket pump in the car that needed to be swapped to the new module ( I don't think I do as I bought the car already maggied and magnavolt equipped).

Should I get a DW300 and slap it in the new fuel pump module while the dealer has it all apart? Or would that just be a waste of money?
Old 04-14-2015, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

No problem.

does this module drop into the existing tank? (as in, "does the flange fit"?)
I had worked with Justin a few years back and there was no solution to using any PWmodules as that was the stopping point i had encountered.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tommycompton
I'm for the time being going forward with dual intank 255 with return..
what I did. ** should clarify (one gss340 pump per side of saddle) not both on one side.
Used 1/2" Fluoroelastomer bio-diesel grade hose to X cross the internals of the tank - siphon of each side of the saddle tank. Drains equally.
Have -6 from each pump go to a fuel block.. -8 forward and regulated return after the rails, flat line the IFR tables.. zero issues. Blower maxes out before the fuel does. Done. I get the premise of PW.. but... i wanted to drive the thing..

Last edited by vmapper; 04-14-2015 at 04:45 PM. Reason: added comments
Old 04-14-2015, 04:34 PM
Launching!

Put a DW300 in it. Stock boost you won't need the magnavolt. Spin it more and you need the pump and BAP.

Originally Posted by barrok69
So... quick question.

I'm going to have my car in the dealership for the fuel pump module recall. I currently have a Magnavolt (works without issues) hooked up to my car.

The Tech asked if I had any aftermarket pump in the car that needed to be swapped to the new module ( I don't think I do as I bought the car already maggied and magnavolt equipped).

Should I get a DW300 and slap it in the new fuel pump module while the dealer has it all apart? Or would that just be a waste of money?
Old 04-14-2015, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007V
Put a DW300 in it. Stock boost you won't need the magnavolt. Spin it more and you need the pump and BAP.

I have a smaller pulley (2.7") and currently at 8.9psi right now with plans to do 1:1 rears in the near future.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My DW300 was fluctuating fuel pressure. High at idle (64psi) then normal to low at high demand (58-52 psi). It also fluctuated at odd times that I didn't expect. So I would not recommend a single DW300 without upgrading the regulation.

See note above. I kept having these weird lean issues that I couldn't track down. I initially thought the fuel pressure fluctuation was consistent enough that I could tune around the high idle pressure and lower pressure up top but... On hot restarts things were ALL over the place and it took me forever to tie in the fact that the fuel pressure was also varying on these hot restarts (I don't know why). +- 15% fuel trims were not uncommon.

I have a smaller pulley (2.7") and currently at 8.9psi right now with plans to do 1:1 rears in the near future
I can't tell you whether or not you NEED to do something as that decision is up to you. However, if you look at the flow testing of the stock bucket on page 1 and you find yourself where you are producing more hp than the stock bucket can support IMO you should replace the pump. If you do, you likely should do something to upgrade pressure regulation. A return style system or PWM would work. It just seems the stock fuel filter/regulator has a few issues when you hit it with the additional pressure/flow of an aftermarket system.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vmapper
what I did. ** should clarify (one gss340 pump per side of saddle) not both on one side.
Used 1/2" Fluoroelastomer bio-diesel grade hose to X cross the internals of the tank - siphon of each side of the saddle tank. Drains equally.
Have -6 from each pump go to a fuel block.. -8 forward and regulated return after the rails, flat line the IFR tables.. zero issues. Blower maxes out before the fuel does. Done. I get the premise of PW.. but... i wanted to drive the thing..
I like this!! So you put a stock bucket on each side? No problems with reading fuel level, I'm assuming both floats are hooked up. Sounds straight forward, but do you have pics and such?

Quick Reply: Fuel pump