Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

OBX Headers-An Honest Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by serik21
My pacesetters had weld splatter all over the place. Second you do realize when you are buying of off eBay or Amazon you are typically buying from a smaller retailer not the actual company. There's no doubt about it you got a shitty product but doesn't mean everything is ****.
Let's talk about customer service. So if I was to bash a company for one mistake then a lot of people would think twice about buying their products even for the majority everyone has no issues.
I think you are missing a lot of my motive here for posting this thread. I am not the lone customer here with issues. In my research I have heard about the defects that I encountered in several posts here and across other boards.

Let's talk about Amazon for a moment as well because you could not be more incorrect. Amazon does make it a point to tell you when you are purchasing items from another re-seller but most often the search results will lead you to a product that they keep in stock. You would be astounded at just how much and many different kinds of products they carry in their fulfillment centers. This particular product was an oddity because OBX chooses not to allow anyone else to stock their products but rather to retain stock in their warehouse and ship to customer. I can tell you that Amazon does indeed carry Kooks headers in their warehouses. In many cases they are sent items to sell by an outside vendor, which you will see "sold by vendor x & fulfilled by Amazon." I digress.
I think you have also missed the point that I am not the only one with issues, many people that had issues either did not post here or have not posted at all. I use LS1 tech as a resource frequently so I wanted this to be a good landing page for searches on this product. I have said above, I welcome anyone that has purchased these headers recently to post their pictures and experiences because I was unable to sample from any more than my own order and understand that you need more than one item to make a conclusion. But, and this is a big one, between CTSV owners, Facebook, Cadillac forums and several other sites that I landed on during my searches I have seen multiple posts with concerns about quality. Furthermore the policies and companies general apathetical attitude towards an obviously badly flawed and unchecked product prompted me to do some simple math and arrive at the conclusion that they have issues, know it, don't care, and are concerned only with continuing to sell their products at high margins through online only channels that will allow them to hide rather than provide reasonable customer support.

You didn't buy your CS mounts from CS, but they still helped you out.

I asked for a simple return for s product that I was not satisfied with after it was purchased on 9/12/15. I have gotten short, uninformative, and generally aloof responses and no refund as of today 10/1/15. I'll bet if I had an issue with some pacesetters I would already have a replacement set in hand.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you directly respond to Amazon and trash them publicly in a review they generally bend over backwards to override your troubles. Just an idea, especially if you have a long purchase history with them.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry you had the troubles you did. I've never seen headers that bad. I bought mine off eBay about 6 months ago for 450 shipped. They were really good quality, and I haven't had any trouble from them. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones?
Old 10-02-2015, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

wow those are gross
Hope you get your refund , worst set of headers I have ever scene
Old 10-02-2015, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, quick swift action and apologies should have taken place with either a refund or a replacement set in your hands asap with out it costing you a dime. Amazon can get some **** done when you are flaming pissed and directly unsatisfied with a product bought through their website. I order about $20,000 worth of **** on amazon a year and of course you get bad or DOA products and they have always taken care of me.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:25 PM
Banned

Kooks Headers strives to make the highest quality American made product for your American made car. We hate to see instances like this when a customer with such a nice car chooses a product that is not of the same standard. We are however humbled at the attempt to replicate our product by another company. If you are looking for a set of headers with a quality standard that meets your car, we would like to see what we can do for you. Please check your inbox and get back to me at your earliest convenience.

Thank you from Kooks Headers and Exhaust.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

haha insert shameless plug here.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
haha insert shameless plug here.
From the company that just discontinued their headers for our platform. Strange timing.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If those headers go back to China, they'll probably grab the guy that welded them and put a bullet in his head. "Next!"
Old 10-05-2015, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Hey guys, thanks so much for joining the thread and offering up your words of encouragement. An also thanks in advance for the offer, I will keep an eye on my inbox.
Honestly in all the years I have been on automotive forums and even this one I have never seen this kind of response from both forum members and vendors alike. It goes to show you that our little community cares for one another. That is really the only reason why I made this post in the first place. I lingered over at Cadillac Forums for a bit when I first picked the car up but after the drama unfolded with a certain fella that makes a hell of a nice shifter at nearly no profit I decided to bring it on home here to LS1 tech and have not been disappointed since.
Originally Posted by KOOKS Headers
Kooks Headers strives to make the highest quality American made product for your American made car. We hate to see instances like this when a customer with such a nice car chooses a product that is not of the same standard. We are however humbled at the attempt to replicate our product by another company. If you are looking for a set of headers with a quality standard that meets your car, we would like to see what we can do for you. Please check your inbox and get back to me at your earliest convenience.

Thank you from Kooks Headers and Exhaust.

Also small update for you fellas as well, I received word from Amazon that I have been granted a full refund of my money. My returned product arrived on Saturday back in California and was notified that Amazon had taken the initiative to grant me a full return regardless of policy immediately upon the induction of my returned headers via the RMA code. So there is a happy ending attached to this as well.

Phalanx_ Vette thanks for posting your experience here. My hope is that I show to be in the minority with my experiences. My other hope would be to begin populating this thread with dyno sheets from all of those that installed these headers on an otherwise stock car to see how they range when compared to their competition. Me thinks that might be a pipe dream as a stock car like mine is almost unheard of today.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

K&N setup, OBX LT's, HF cats, x-pipe, stock mufflers.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fweasel
From the company that just discontinued their headers for our platform. Strange timing.
We still make headers for this application. We no longer make the 1 3/4" version as most every one we sell is an 1 7/8".
Old 10-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

I'm glad you're getting a full refund. Amazon is a great company to deal with on these matters.
My car is mostly stock.
I have a Volant cold air, OBX LT's with high flow cats, and MagnaFlow catback with X pipe. I didn't do a dyno tune though. I had the guy go in and delete the rear O2 sensors so I don't get the CEL for high flow cats and he made a few changes to my torque vectoring.
I may have him run it on the dyno some day, but for now my money/focus is on the corvette.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Both my friend and I noticed a big gain in the seat of the pants feeling after installing the obx headers on our V's. Never had them dyno tuned. Johns V's is halfway through a Maggie install and will be off to the dyno so we will see if these 1-7/8" obx headers will flow.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For those untuned with headers, notice my gains from the tune--about 20hp. It was running really rich down low and smelled like gas (even through cats) and dangerously lean up top. My advice is GET IT TUNED.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

One set of headers in that shape imo is one too many.

I'd be hard pressed to buy OBX now.....
Old 10-09-2015, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BudRacing
For those untuned with headers, notice my gains from the tune--about 20hp. It was running really rich down low and smelled like gas (even through cats) and dangerously lean up top. My advice is GET IT TUNED.
What does a tune add to the cost of the headers? Are there shops that will use their own computer/handheld so you don't have to drop another $5-600 on a device, plus tune time?
Old 10-09-2015, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wes8398
What does a tune add to the cost of the headers? Are there shops that will use their own computer/handheld so you don't have to drop another $5-600 on a device, plus tune time?
You can get that tune mail order. Google "mail order ls tune" and you'll get lots of options. I started researching each of them but went in another direction but you can get that tune by simply mailing off your pcm, they download a tune it, mail it back to you and bam. Probably cost a $150ish??

From what I can tell, this can get you pretty damn close but to get the most out of each individual car, you'll be on the dyno and thats $500 around here. If you plan on modding the car further than headers or whatever, dyno tuning can get costly unless the shop has a "retune" as you go option which, from what I can tell, is about $150 or $200 for every dyno tune you do. That isn't a bad option if you plan on doing cams, heads etc on down the road because you can't afford to do it all at once.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You can run a CAI and headers with out a tune and be just fine. I did it for 20k+ miles and have zero damage done to motor as evident of compression and leak down test. The computer can compensate a decent amount before you go too lean. And I tracked and dragged the car several times, so it's not like I babied it.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
You can run a CAI and headers with out a tune and be just fine. I did it for 20k+ miles and have zero damage done to motor as evident of compression and leak down test. The computer can compensate a decent amount before you go too lean. And I tracked and dragged the car several times, so it's not like I babied it.
No CEL???

Quick Reply: OBX Headers-An Honest Review