Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Cam suggestions needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're ever in the north Raleigh area you are welcome to check out my ctsv if that will help in the cam decision. Why go through all that trouble just to make it stock?
Old 02-11-2016, 05:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
The main reason I recommended that cam for you was for great driving manners due to its short overlap event (-2@.050 and 52@.006) and added low end torque from its late exhaust opening event. You mentioned it felt dead under 2000rpm with the 233/240 cam. That is due to the amount of overlap the camshaft has and its later IVC event. This creates reversion at low engine speeds and decreased cylinder pressure.

If you changed the cam from 113+2 to 111+2, it would add 4 degrees of overlap, close the intake valve 2 degrees earlier and open the exhaust valve two degrees earlier. IMO this would make less peak torque and mid-range from 3500-5000rpm, but might make a little bit more from 2500-3000rpm. The added 4 degrees of overlap will most likely lose power under 2500rpm though even with the earlier intake valve closing event.

I designed every single off the shelf camshaft at Tick Performance aside from the V.1 Polluter cam. I was very involved in those designs.

Hope this helps!
Ok that makes sense. I spent the restimate of the day yesterday reading what I could find and I didn't even think about the grater overlap that the cam with 111 lsa would have when I asked that earlier.
What would your thoughts be on a cam with a smaller lift in order to reuse stock LS6 valve springs? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is How much does the lift effect the power gained with a cam?
There's aoff the shelf comp cam I have read about that is duration of 220/224, Lift .530/.534 LSA 112.
It sound like I could get away with stock springs on this, but am i correct to assume that with the same -2 degrees of overlap as the one you suggested, would this have the same characteristics as far as the rpm range that it makes power and driveability? But also make less power overall
Old 02-11-2016, 05:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by itsdaveonline
If you're ever in the north Raleigh area you are welcome to check out my ctsv if that will help in the cam decision. Why go through all that trouble just to make it stock?
I'd love to, but my car as of yesterday is sitting with no heads at my buddy'shop and he's ready to push it outside if I don't get the last bit of parts I need to put it back together lol so I'm trying to get something ordered before the end of the week.
Just curious, where did you get your car tuned? I had my trans am done at Mayhem, but have also heard really good things about RPM in Garner
Old 02-11-2016, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BJHardin
I'd love to, but my car as of yesterday is sitting with no heads at my buddy'shop and he's ready to push it outside if I don't get the last bit of parts I need to put it back together lol so I'm trying to get something ordered before the end of the week.
Just curious, where did you get your car tuned? I had my trans am done at Mayhem, but have also heard really good things about RPM in Garner
I've actually brought my car to 2 different tuners when i lived in Colorado. One of which was a "LS tuning expert". They both sucked. All they did was really tweak the MAF tables. My car wouldn't drive right with the cam, it would surge, buck, and die like a ****. My VVE table was untouched, idle params were stock, HI & LO timing were the same, PE was set to 1.00 and it was "commanding PE" via the MAF. Electronic TB adjustments caused car to go into limp mode. Cat protection off... I can go on haha.

I ended up just buying hp tuners and now do it all myself. I just put on a fast 102 and might consider bringing it to RPM as they seem the most reputable. But not before i drill them over tables they would adjust and kind of get a feel for their tuning strategies. Although they seem like the best pick from what i hear.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok that makes sense. I spent the restimate of the day yesterday reading what I could find and I didn't even think about the grater overlap that the cam with 111 lsa would have when I asked that earlier.
What would your thoughts be on a cam with a smaller lift in order to reuse stock LS6 valve springs? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is How much does the lift effect the power gained with a cam?
There's aoff the shelf comp cam I have read about that is duration of 220/224, Lift .530/.534 LSA 112.
It sound like I could get away with stock springs on this, but am i correct to assume that with the same -2 degrees of overlap as the one you suggested, would this have the same characteristics as far as the rpm range that it makes power and driveability? But also make less power overall
Valve events in the long run dictate how a camshaft will act. Two cams with the same amount of overlap may not act the same in terms of power delivered and where power is made in relation to RPM.

I think you would do best if you gave me a call so I can go over some things with you and give you the best advice possible for your cam swap.

I can easily take lobe lift out of the lobe design and allow you to use LS6 valve springs. This is something I've done many times before so that customers can keep costs down and allow for maximum longevity of the valve springs since LS6 springs have such light spring pressures compared to aftermarket dual valve springs.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
Valve events in the long run dictate how a camshaft will act. Two cams with the same amount of overlap may not act the same in terms of power delivered and where power is made in relation to RPM.

I think you would do best if you gave me a call so I can go over some things with you and give you the best advice possible for your cam swap.

I can easily take lobe lift out of the lobe design and allow you to use LS6 valve springs. This is something I've done many times before so that customers can keep costs down and allow for maximum longevity of the valve springs since LS6 springs have such light spring pressures compared to aftermarket dual valve springs.
Yeah I'll give you a call later today if I can. I'm I. Training for work and not free until possibly after 4 but can call you then if that's not too late in the day for you
Old 02-12-2016, 12:01 PM
Teching In

I've actually brought my car to 2 different tuners when i lived in Colorado. One of which was a "LS tuning expert". They both sucked. All they did was really tweak the MAF tables. My car wouldn't drive right with the cam, it would surge, buck, and die like a ****. My VVE table was untouched, idle params were stock, HI & LO timing were the same, PE was set to 1.00 and it was "commanding PE" via the MAF. Electronic TB adjustments caused car to go into limp mode. Cat protection off... I can go on haha.

I ended up just buying hp tuners and now do it all myself. I just put on a fast 102 and might consider bringing it to RPM as they seem the most reputable. But not before i drill them over tables they would adjust and kind of get a feel for their tuning strategies. Although they seem like the best pick from what i hear.
Oh I gotcha, I had actually thought about getting hp tuners at one point too. I'd love to play with it and learn how to tune it myself, but don't have the money to spend on it right now
Old 03-17-2016, 06:57 AM
Teching In

Now that my car is back together and tuned I have to give a big thanks to Martin Smallwood. He is great to talk to when ordering a cam and explained the valve events to me and how the cam he came up with would accomplish the driveability goals I wanted.

The cam I ended up buying from him was 224/228 on 113 LSA, with a small lift to reuse a new set of ls6 springs. At the same time I did obx headers connected to my Corsa cat back and kept all the resonators in place.

Even before tuning the car ran awesome with a ton of low end torque, and after tuning and a new MAF sensor because of a cheap auto parts store part the car drives amazingly.

I had it dyno tuned at Mayhem Motorsports in Raleigh NC, Peak numbers were 382 hp and 361 ftlbs with a large flat torque curve. I'll post a pic of the graph tonight to show just how smooth and high the torque curve is at low rpm.
I don't have before numbers but from what I've read and how it drove stock, and compared to my trans am when it was on the stock cam and was dynod on the same dyno, I'm sure it would likely have been around 325 to 335 on their dyno.

Now my problem is traction! if I stomp it from a roll anywhere around 2k in first it starts to take off then lights up the tires, and does the same when I shift to second and stomp it
Old 03-17-2016, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Now that my car is back together and tuned I have to give a big thanks to Martin Smallwood. He is great to talk to when ordering a cam and explained the valve events to me and how the cam he came up with would accomplish the driveability goals I wanted.

The cam I ended up buying from him was 224/228 on 113 LSA, with a small lift to reuse a new set of ls6 springs. At the same time I did obx headers connected to my Corsa cat back and kept all the resonators in place.

Even before tuning the car ran awesome with a ton of low end torque, and after tuning and a new MAF sensor because of a cheap auto parts store part the car drives amazingly.

I had it dyno tuned at Mayhem Motorsports in Raleigh NC, Peak numbers were 382 hp and 361 ftlbs with a large flat torque curve. I'll post a pic of the graph tonight to show just how smooth and high the torque curve is at low rpm.
I don't have before numbers but from what I've read and how it drove stock, and compared to my trans am when it was on the stock cam and was dynod on the same dyno, I'm sure it would likely have been around 325 to 335 on their dyno.

Now my problem is traction! if I stomp it from a roll anywhere around 2k in first it starts to take off then lights up the tires, and does the same when I shift to second and stomp it
When did you get tuned there? I was just there a few days getting my new setup sorted out!
Old 03-17-2016, 10:57 PM
FormerVendor

Not bad numbers for a .560" lift 22x duration camshaft that uses LS6 springs and mild lobes! I'm glad you are pleased with it!

Not only should it drive exceptionally well, but the springs should last literally forever due to their low spring rates and the mild lobes that the cam was ground with.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:10 AM
Teching In

When did you get tuned there? I was just there a few days getting my new setup sorted out!
I'm living in Wilmington and had my brother tow it up and drop it off Monday and picked it back up Wednesday afternoon. Literally only had it back for 2 days now. So if you saw a red V in a trailer behind a silver chevy dually that was mine.

And Martin, I was definitely impressed with the numbers and how fun it is to drive, its better than I expected from reading about similar cams with more lift. And longevity and reliability are definitely what I am after with this car, so it's good to know those springs should really last.
The guys at Mayhem didn't expect the numbets to be that high either either,
Old 03-18-2016, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Here's a short idle video of it after tuning
Old 03-19-2016, 03:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, top sound at idle, I wish, I had the same to become my nick name true here!

Maybe next year I will also buy a product from Martin!

Best regards,
Ronald
Old 03-19-2016, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Here's a pic of the dyno printout.
350 ft-lbs of torque starring at 3500 rpm!
Old 03-22-2016, 08:17 PM
FormerVendor

Torque curve looks great!

Quick Reply: Cam suggestions needed