Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

serpentine belt walking off w/pump tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question serpentine belt walking off w/pump tensioner

I have a 04 CTS-V w/a Maggie and 20k miles. Maggie went on at around 15k. I am having a recurring problem where the serpentine belt is walking halfway off the water pump tensioner pulley (towards front of car), and if I don't catch it in time, it eventually shreds the belt and leaves me stranded. It has been to Caddy dealer 3 times, and they are now blaming it on the Maggie. It sure appears to me that the tensioner pulley is the one out of line. Has anyone else seen or heard of this before?
Old 12-31-2006, 01:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a razorback belt. I had that problem when I went to the 2.6 pulley, and the razorback solved it. Also check torque on the Maggie pulley to ensure it's seated far enough back to line up properly.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I carry two extra belts and a wrench just for that.

Once the belt "walks" off the pulley, it's internals are trashed and it is just a matter of time before it shreds.

Original belt lasted about a year.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Please be advised that there is a Maggie issue with the Magnavolt and the belt tensioner. You might want to give Magnason a call and request the new upgraded parts.

Thanks,
Chad
Old 01-02-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

What was the issues on both? So i know?
Old 01-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Old 01-02-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

I went thru 3 of them on my first kit on my black ctsv I then found that the ground screw that they tell you to hook up to does not give a good ground. It puts out around 7 ish volts due to the coating on that bolt. When i moved it to a real ground i no longer killed the magnavolt. 7 volts was barely enough to run the intercooler pump and magnavolt. It had burnt the plastic on the fuse block also from the arc. After i moved it i had 14 volts to the pump and magnavolt and no problems ever since.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

There is a larger supply wire for the relay of the Magnavolt. The other is a modified belt tensioner. The kit comes with new bracket and bolts.

Chad
Old 01-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Thanks Chad I contacted them & my updated parts are on there way. Man that was way to easy,there Rep. David G. got back to me the next day, NOW thats what I call customer service THANKS AGAIN
Old 01-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Question

Originally Posted by wait4me
I went thru 3 of them on my first kit on my black ctsv I then found that the ground screw that they tell you to hook up to does not give a good ground. It puts out around 7 ish volts due to the coating on that bolt. When i moved it to a real ground i no longer killed the magnavolt. 7 volts was barely enough to run the intercooler pump and magnavolt. It had burnt the plastic on the fuse block also from the arc. After i moved it i had 14 volts to the pump and magnavolt and no problems ever since.

Thanks to everyone for your input-I have a modified tensioner heading my way. I had my maggie installed by a Pro-Dyno shop in Tempe (I am in Tucson) so had to look up the MagnaVolt in the installation guide (pages 51-54). I am not aware that I have an issue here-how does it present if it is problematic?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

chipdelay--Next time that you are in the area stop next door and say HI.

We have seen that the pump is not getting the full voltage and fuel pressure starts dropping and the A/F starts to go lean.

Chad

Quick Reply: serpentine belt walking off w/pump tensioner