On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Broken passenger wheel well ABS wire:

Sautered:

And now the fuel pump access panel cut:

Old 04-20-2012, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

Next up will be "priming' of the bare metal with primer, then painting with the proper color to seal the metal and prevent rust.

Then a friend lended me a 340lp/h Walboro fuel pump, so i will yank the Racetronix 255/hr and see if this makes any difference.

Hopefully over the next 4 weeks i can get some time to get at this stuff.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These things take time. You figured out the abs problem.. excellent! Now that you have easy access to the pump that shouldn't be too hard to figure out either.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

That's what i'm hoping. The 340lph Walboro i borrowed requires some "modification" of the stock pump housing which isn't in the car presently. I am hoping what i'm dealing with is a bad fuel pump regulator.....but i have to find one, get it swapped in, connect all those stupid lines up and test.

If that fuel pump regulator isn't the problem, then i will modify the stock fuel pump housing, drop in the 340lph Walboro and see what happens.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

I got the fuel pump out and realized that the 340lph Walboro i borrowed has a different connector than mine has...so that swap was kybashed!

I rerouted one of the plastic corrugated lines, checked all wiring and tubing for kinks, put everything back in....and no luck.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

I have a thread under the fuel section and i'm asking for help to get this problems sorted out currently.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Should have look at that thread and have seen your thread on f body gen of course.
Maybe since you have spent this much already time to spend a bit more and maybe just get a second racetronix pump from them and see if its same. Can't be that much really here to check and sometimes you have to throw more money at something to fix it. AT worst you have an identical spare. Fact sure chris has one of them in his car and no problem and as said had one in wifes 96z28 as well. Easy plug and play and quiet in tank especially compared to external pumps.Fact thats why went with double intank to keep things quiet and streetable. Whole project was to build a super crazy fast street car that was docile off boost and a tiger on boost. Mellow cam, reasonably tight stall, etc and quiet fuel system.

I unfortunately don't have my car near me to see how loud my fuel setup is. I have dual pumps second one coming on at some boost and the other one of course running all the time as main pump. I got all my stuff from lonnies great guy . I did have racetronix in the wifes car and it seemed fine didn't notice much if any big noises from it. So would think if its not fuel filter which not sure if you changed out???

Maybe you just need a louder stereo or louder exhaust! Kidding..
I know things can be annoying .I still have some things that bug me on my 99TT. I had funny noise from wheel only did it when turning sharp or throwing steering wheel hard back and forth. Took that front wheel apart like 5 times and checked and messed on brakes and then finally figured out it was drivers side rear wheel! Finally had brother in law drive it and I could clearly here it was back wheel so likely something with parking brake or something and sure now that know what wheel it is will be able to fix it.

I also had horrible vibration problems and if you remember my posts on f body or here really car felt like it would shake apart past 80 it got horrlbly bad and went nuts trying to figure it out. And have most of it fixed now. But put in quite a bit of time and money to make it better.

But still think have some vibration that don't like might be stall,might be trans might be the poly engine mounts likely its the last thing.

Oh well hope you get it fixed and are happy with it. All the time and money that goes into modding these things. That is why my new philosophy is stock or very very near stock
now with the next stable cars.But likely have a couple of modded ones around forever so just have to also figure out the things that bug me and try to fix them.

So you coming thru Ktown still?
Like to see and maybe get ride in your car if you do.

Are you going to dyno track it once you get these last little bugs fixed? When is SIR open this year?

I am planning to come to Regina and drive my 99TT back end of this month or early next .Not shipping it . Should be fun cruise thru mountains. Z06 was huge fun had some duels with Turbo trucks that was hilarious. But think they found out that z06 aerodynamics are just a bit better than their barn door trucks. And not a chance those trucks could out corner,out break and those ones at least couldn't out accelerate even my bone stock z06.
Fact me and son were sure one truck went off cliff trying to keep up to me in the twisties. Of course didn't realize that the fines for speeding in BC are about same as babykilling and I was definitely not going the speed limit on those mountain roads, awesome roads of course for cars like z06. Tons of super tight curves, hairpin,s curves, you name it. Great scenery like a video game.

Anyway sorry rambling in your thread . Persistence ... you will figure it out!! Lots of smart guys on this board. Have helped me out tons of times.
And on a further note.should be interesting to see how 72 sprint does with his car and my old 408. Should make some serious power and run some serious times.
Just wish wasn't so busy and could get away to get my car back sooner. Damn real estate is keeping me super busy but what a bitch to get relicensed out here. 1000 page book ,killer exam definitely won't be many people coming into it the way they have it now and miss all those young hotties that came into it back in the day.But guess now might still get the really smart young hotties.

Saskatoon and Regina are still booming I think and its getting better out here it seems a lot better pretty strong spring.And those lower mainland prices ,Van,Victoria wow just wow.

Seems to me have seen noisy fuel pumps in some of my talons and they use similar walbros or supra tt pumps also mounted in tank. Think plugged fuel filter was one reason, and damaged pump from running tank empty they hate that the fuel cools the pump can't let them run empty or too near empty too many times. Don't think any of them were noisy from voltage but guess big over voltage would make them noisy for sure take off any voltage booster.
Really its just a pump, fuel filter,few wires, relay what else is there.

Last edited by MY99TAWS6; 05-08-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Al, the wife, son and I are hoping to get out to Kelowna this summer if work will grant me a few vacation days...unfortunately it won't be in the camaro (too much left to sort out), it'll be in the wife's 09 infiniti g37xS sedan...which is only so bad

After MUCH problem solving and bouncing ideas off people, i learned (and i hope this is correct)...The factory ECU/PCM sends out a signal for a few seconds on the green/white fuel pump trigger wire to the fuel pump relay (in the engine bay behind the driver side headlamp) which then in turn "primes" the fuel pump for a few seconds. Then after a few seconds, the voltage at the ECU/PCM green/white wire should drop (with JUST the ignition on).

My ECU/PCM voltage at that green/white wire DOESN"T drop...even after a minute of running, which leads me to believe that my ECU/PCM is bad.

I am awaiting some responses and will see where to go...but it may be getting a new ECU/PCM....damn.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah sometimes you have to throw money at things in hopes of fixing them.
You should be able to pick up an ecm cheap on ebay I would think or off this board,etc.Or why not just borrow one off local guys someone must have a 98 also? They of course are easy to swap in too and at worst have a spare or can resell it . Cars are getting older not bad idea to have some spare parts for down the road.

Doesn't sound like you have too many issues on yours really. The fuel pump thing, the rev limiter thing is just tuning and the low boost is likely just a boost leak as long as turbo is working properly.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GT67 seems a little small for a forged 402. It might spool really fast but you will CHOKE that bitch up top. Both sides are a little small for what you need. That 402 will move alot of air if it is not your IAT's skyrocketing past 4-5psi than I can almost guarantee it will be down on power due to a backpressure issue. (I had to learn the hard way) Its not making pressure in the intake that is the problem. It is getting the exhaust out. That housing gets so damn small to get it to spool back there that it causes a big restriction when a big cube engine wants to breathe.

Remember boost is only a measure of your intake pressure. You need to get the air out. GT76 would suit you perfect. gt67 is more for a stock cube setup you spent the $$ on the cubes and the forged internals might as well use them.

I am sure I am telling you **** you already know but this is the dilema with the RM setups when you want big power. Power curves with them hit a wall.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I PM'd Chance575 (a member of this board) a while back, he runs that turbo on a cammed 6.0 and it is pegged out at 8-8.5 psi if I remember right.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

1-sick-z, thank you for your post. I will admit, i didn't know my GT67 was under-rated for my motor. How can a person know what size turbo to use in their build?

I am still trouble shooting a possible ECM/fuel pump/fuel pump relay issue.

Once i get this fuel pump ECM issue sorted, out, then my next issue will be sorting out why i have a second gear (ONLY) limiter, and THEN it will be doing some tuning.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

1. My ECU is sending the proper signal to my fuel pump relay (it's clicking the way it should)

2. My tuner was UNABLE to turn my fuel pump ON or OFF with his HP Tuners. Yet on his 99 Camaro, he was able to turn it on and off by clicking a button on his laptop.

3. I am getting a phantom P0650 code

4. We weren't able to establish what in the ignition system sends out "reference pulses" to the ECU. The ECU shuts down after 2 seconds of priming on his camaro...yet in mine it doesn't. We are thinking that there is something electronic sending out a small amount of voltage telling the ECU that my car is running or the fuel pump hasn't primed. Still stumped.

5. I still have a boost leak (i'm thinking...if my turbo isn't too small). We don't know if it's coming from the "turbo to throttle" side or the "exhaust manifold to turbo" side. I am going to head to Partsource and Home Depot in the morning and try and build a DIY Boost leak tester.

6. I'm missing a piece of metal in my rear driver fender well that my air intake tube is supposed to bolt to...so it's rattling around like a siv. I'll have to get something welded in place to fix that.

7. I found a green striped wastegate spring in my Turbosmart Ultragate 38mm Wastegate. Not sure what pressure it is supposed to be as mine was supposed to come with a blue spring. I can't find any information on this particular spring, so i emailed STS and we'll see what he's able to figure out.

8. STS sent me a tune which was able to fix my 2nd gear limiter issue by removing the neutral limiter on my tune...so now all my gears work fine
Old 05-16-2012, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Good to see you are getting some stuff figured out like you got that limiter gone.
But that pump issue what the heck?? Something must be wired wrong maybe they have something reversed in a connector. Woudn't be the first time ! Ask me how I know. I think it was on my cam sensor wiring that happened. Drove me nuts but finally figured it out.

Yeah weird on that spring found this on turbosmart website

http://www.turbosmartusa.com/wp-cont...pringchart.pdf

Obviously if you have a 4psi spring that is all you will see with no boost controller. And usually you can get around double the spring max. Some controllers can think give more though. So I had 7.5 psi springs and now put in 10psi so could hit 20 or so max if want to.

boost leaks will of course not help . As said too bad no smoke machine available the one at Ok tire in Regina worked fantastic few times for me finding boost leaks on my talons and think checked 99tt also once . Its automotive smoke machine.

So are you driving it around a fair bit now. It should still seem pretty quick the bigger cube engine even at 4psi.

You are of course likely still in break in mode?

Hoping to finally go back and get my 99TT very shortly. Was going to go next weekend but got back into real estate out here and just sold a condo and have conditions removal on 28th so guess try to go June 1 possession is June 20.

Just fly down Friday drive car back saturday. Too busy at work now to stay away very long. Market seems to have picked up pretty nicely here . No doubt those crazy prices farther west are not hurting sales in Kelowna.

Well keep at it you will get it figured out sooner or later. Me pretty much decided my future cars are going to stay really close to stock. This dicking around with these highly modded ones does get a bit old . But of course when put the hammer down on the big 427 and hear those big snails spin up and the tires go up in smoke for as long as you want to keep the pedal down then it sometimes still seems worth it. Just wish had got that traction control option on my 99! Have to try out my et streets this season. Those toyo drag radials really dont work that well at even current 10psi power level. What are you running for tires on your car??
What controller do you have? My eboost 2 can ramp boost by gear, rpm or time. Think gear is likely best of all three although time might work at the track .Rpm is similar to how ati procharger works. Have to definitely play with the ramping this season.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

I have only put on 150 miles since starting it up this year...so not as much as i would like. My motor and turbo are working really hard. I can't spin the tires in my first gear, and it almost feels like i'm hauling a 2 ton trailer behind my car when i full throttled my car. If i had to guess a horsepower number (peak) currently, i'd say my car is putting out about 250hp or so. My Infiniti would walk ALL OVER my camaro the way it's driving currently.

I got around to pressurizing the intake system from turbo to throttle body.

This is the point where you ask how impressed i am......and i reply NOT VERY FU&(&IN MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The initial installer (GSS) i see drilled 3 small holes in the charge pipe which were bleeding out boost, as well as my front mount blow off valve is PISSING out air. I used a 4 gallon, 135 psi compressor, and allowing it to run at 5-8 psi constant, the leaks in my system had the tank depleted in around a minute....not good.

I managed to get to Greenline and picked up 2 different size silicone hoses and clamps to go over the drilled holes in my charge pipe.

My blow off valve is MISSING the O-Ring that should help to seal things off (STS is sending me a new one).

So my car will sit dormant for a while until i get the new O-Ring for my blow off valve and with the help of STS we are going to figure out what spring to best use in my wastegate as i seem to have an "unknown" spring in my wastegate as well.

I just sent photos off to STS Turbo and will call them tomorrow and follow up with them and get some crap sent my way.

Next step (once these parts are in) will be looking at the exhaust (for leaks). I think my manifolds are fine...i am more curious to know if my y-pipe is sealing well under boost (stock parts use flare joints....kinda like a ball into a ball glove).
Old 05-23-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Well leaking blowoff is going to of course bleed off boost big time.And those other little leaks not going to help either.And of course exhaust leaks as well.
And you need to figure out the spring thing 5psi base could let you get to 10psi with controller and you can always put in a 7 or 10 base later or even bigger .Have to see how it is for traction. Remember you can't go under the spring..unless you have leaks.

Booked flight for june 1 so hope to bring back 99. Could be few weeks or longer till get it plated here since still not 100% sure if have to buy ypipe or not as have no cats. No air care in Kelowna thank God! Car would not pass air care.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

I received an email during the day today, saying my O-ring should be here Tuesday May 29th. I ended up ordering one for a Tial 50mm BOV as that's what STS used to use on their previous setups. I've also just learned from "Tial" that STS as of 2008 stopped using their BOV's and outsourced their BOV's to a chinese company (which happens to be mine).

STS wanted $75 to ship an O-ring from their warehouse to me....and i almost gagged at the price. $65 of that was shipping, brokerage and border fees!

Prior to learning what i know now, i ordered one from an online source. So i am hoping to heck that this O-ring coming this way is the proper fit, or i'll be coughing up $75 more for a rubber o-ring and waiting another few weeks to finish off the boost leak test on the intake side of my car.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

I now have an o-ring that works but is less than 100% fit, but it's gonna have to do...and it's holding up to the boost leak test (BLT) i've just done.

In doing a BLT yesterday my intake air temp sensor gasket (pink) popped out of the charge pipe. So i got ahold of an "epoxy" like substance, let it cure overnight and "voila", no more leak from that sensor (it's just down from my throttle body and behind my radiator):

I just ran a subsequent BLT and my system had one more leak i took care of but is now leak free.

We are having our driveway dug/poured starting tomorrow, so in the next 2 weeks, once i get my car off jackstands and to an exhaust shop, i will get the few minor exhaust leaks around existing welds sorted out and then wait to see when the tuning can resume.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

Here's a better pic of the BLT i made...the one on the left is the actual tester...the one on the right is what i started with. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the center of the cap, then i epoxied the hole, and put some epoxy on the threads of the 1/4" industrial air fitting, and screwed it into place. The silicone coupler on there is a 2"x2" silicone coupler..but i had to use a stronger clamp for the one end of the silicone coupler due to a weird bend where it went on.

This is a pic of the "cap" i put on the end of the throttle body tubing...basically just another piece of PVC pipe:

A pic of where the air compressor was pumping air into:

A pic of the STS coupler and just to the right, a new silicone ring with clamp to close off 1 of the 3 holes punched in my charge pipe:

And the cap for my BLT'er:

Old 05-31-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Good job on figuring out those boost leaks. Its easy to find them with an automotive smoke machine but doing it the way you did and the way most talon guys /import guys do it can work as well. Sure you will already have a huge difference on your car. Remember though that you still need to hook up a boost controller to go beyond gate spring pressure. And a controller can't go under gate spring pressure. have you figured out what spring pressure you have now in your gate?There was some question about springs?

There is a bit more variables too with the sts as you have the long pipe to take the boost to the front of the car not short run off some exhaust manifold like say in normal front mount setups.
I have seen lots of boost leaks thru the years on my cars especially my talons. As they are usually older high mileage cars you get many more places for leaks.
You get leaks on the tb to intake manifold gaskets. You get leaks at the intake manifold to head gaskets, you get leaks at the fuel injector seals. On talons since stock they are draw thru you find out pretty quick if you have a big leak on charge pipe as the car will just die. I usually convert my talons to blow thru maf or speed density then if you get a big leak ahead of the maf the car still runs.
I would replace any worm gear clamp with t bolt. T bolt are much better clamps. APS gives not bad worm gear but still going to replace mine with t bolt especially as you up boost levels the t bolts take a lot more boost and dont have the chance of cutting into the couplers which can also cause leaks. Talons also get leaks at end of stock intercooler they kind of rot there. And cheap aftermarket intercoolers are famous for leaking and not holding good pressure.
Knock off blow offs and knock off gates also are known of course for not holding boost or not working properly. Most knock offs are chinese junk.
Quality silicone is also important especially as boost levels go up. The talon guys frequently are boosting 25psi some even up to 40 or more. So quality silicone with t bolt clamps are basically a requirement not an option.

Now that you have fixed a lot of leaks you should be able to hit 10psi or whatever and for a test you can simply disconnect line to the gate carefully watch boost and you will still control it with your right foot. But you should be able to hold boost no problem but still think its normal for any car to gradually lost boost when testing if you are pressurizing motor not just charge pipes.
Of course exhaust side is very important too to get the exhaust into the turbo to spin it up. Had problems with talons with exhaust gasket that bent and blocked flow and you don't want exhaust leaks pre turbo of course either. A clogged cat totally killed boost and power on buddy's sts car. The car felt like it had 100hp. It was super super quiet as well. He was stumped but I listened to the car and realized it must be clogged cat. He took it to muffler shop they took out cat and he gained like 400hp! Amazing what a clogged cat can do. Of course worse in sts where the exhaust had to feed the turbo. But clogged cats anywhere are bad news.

I don't run them in turbo cars unless forced too.In your sts a cat could break up and go thru your nice turbo. Not a good thing.

I think am going to have to buy a catted ypipe for my 99TT to get it to pass safety here. But will likely just bolt back on my non catted ypipe right after get it safetied. Problem is think bolt on cat pipe is like 1000 bucks ! ouch!

Maybe can find a blind safety inspector!

Your car should rip pretty darn good at even 5 to 7 or so psi. It should really start to come alive at 10 or more. Course you can't directly compare different turbos on basis of boost ,airflow is what you are really looking at. Two very different turbos will have very different airflow thru them at 10psi.

I noticed a pretty good boost in power in mine from going from 7.5psi to 10psi on the 427.
But also of course changed combo and went from 408 with the little turbos at 7.5 to the 427 with the bigger turbos at 10psi.And the spool time stayed about the same as more cubes spool up quicker Think do even more than higher compression.Not sure what you went for compression mine is 9.5. A bit high but you can use water/meth injection anyway at higher boost levels and think too low can make the car a bit doggy off boost.Also remember that generally boost gives more power than timing and afr . So generally boost it a bit more give it less timing is better than less boost and more timing and the afr can be a bit safe but not stupid rich no need for that.

So you have not had time to go rip your car since messing on it?

Should be a real tiger compared to before you were just about running NA before you fixed the leaks.
And you have your rpm limiter taken out now. Just that fuel pump thing to figure out still?
I would just buy a spare pump, spare ecu and then it has to be wiring . And can be handy to have a spare ecu and spare pump you never know when you need one and the cars are not getting any younger so spare ecu would be good to have maybe. Those talons of mine go thru ecus like crazy especially certain years. Thank goodness our f body ecus seem generally pretty reliable things.

A bit excited now as tomorrow fly to Regina and pick up the 99 and should be on the road home on saturday morning. Maybe even cruise it a bit around town tomorrow night. Have to remember to be a good boy. Regina on friday night is usually wall to wall cops.
Spot checks etc.

Plenty of season left to enjoy the cars ,more so where I live but Regina was very mild last winter,record mild.Our local track opens up this weekend. Not sure when get there realtors are busiest on the weekend usually as you know but at least should be watching some racing soon. Track is so nice and close like Saskatoons SIR is. Shame its 1/8th mile but better than nothing. Actually that hill climb race on Knox mountain looks interesting. Some wicked crashes on that course on youtube. A Porsche gt3 crashing is one video on there.
Likely a better course for the z06 although my 99 handles pretty good but is still a pretty heavy pig. 4l80s and dana 60s and all that turbo stuff are not light.
And other 1/4 mile tracks including Mission BC, that one has my interest. Sea level track lots of records set there.Negative density air on a good day. Don't get any better than that!

What do you have for tires for your car again?

Quick Reply: STS LS2 Build on 1998 Z28 Camaro