Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Any regrets for converting to carb?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any regrets for converting to carb?

Ok I'm currious if anyone has regreted swaping to a carb. I've been building a 5.3 S10 and I do have the stock LS1 corvette intake,mass air all complete I've modified the original truck harness to stand alone all that would need to be done is get the pcm flashed and a fuel pump and it be running. Butt...

I'm wanting to convert it to carb ...I dont want to have to buy a tunner,credits,license,or pay someone a fortune just to drive my truck everytime I do a upgrade. I had a DOHC mustang motor I converted to carb and loved it..... me being new to the LS scene I want to get input from guys who have done it already to these motors.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This was my first performance carb project, so yeah, in the initial stages of the learning curve I questioned whether this was the right choice. Took me a couple of years to get it just right. But now that I have the carb pretty well dialed in I have no regrets. Car pulls cleanly in 4th gear from 1200 RPM, has great throttle response and pulls down 25 mpg when driven sanely. Plus I just love the look of the carb and that big Moroso air cleaner.

The MSD ignitions are a dream on these cars too. Very easy to tune and gives us options that simply were not there with the old single coil and mechanical advance dist. I would strongly recommend a wideband O2 if you really want to dial in the carb for maximum drivability. Don't know how guys did it before.

My car is a summer's only project car, so if I had to drive it regularly in cold weather I would probably convert over. I made that worse then it needs to be because I wanted to keep the manual choke.

One thing you can do is go ahead and run an in tank EFI pump with a carb regulator up at the motor. That way you have options should you decide to convert later. A baffled sump is helpful with carb motors too.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Teching In

when I did the conversion on the mustang it was a blow through turbo set up and I bought a pro systems carb... and it ran great better than the fuel injection.. a few minor adjustments and it was ready to rock and roll ....thats why I wanted to get feed back on the LS1 conversion how good it responds.....my s10 is a none daily driver so starting on a cold morning isnt a factor.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my carb'd 6.0...It was about 30 ish degrees here this morning and went outside and she cranked straight up. Get it adjusted right and there isnt any problems. It drives good on the interstate and crazy responsive. BTW, the carb and breather looks better TO ME anyways. MSD box looks cool to control the engine and I love to hear people say man that car is fuel injected huh or how are you controlling it with a carb running it!!! MSD baby....M..S..D!! lol..Did I mention, i like the look of my breather, lol.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Every time I see an EFI tuner eating at Sonic because he can't afford a better lunch I shed a little tear of sorrow.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:32 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Having done both efi and carb swap, the carb is easier and did I mention easier? Installation that is. If you don't know how to tune you may hate it at first, just a little learning. Still trying to learn how to tune EFI, gonna be a while on that one...
Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts

K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

I understand a carb....FI not so much.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Its good to hear ..... I guess I know what direction to go ...just need to get rid of the fuel injection stuff I bought over time so I can get me a carb and intake. I know there are the rules for posting in the for sale section so I wont be able to post it because me being a forum newbie...
I have a complete LS1 intakeW/injectors,throtle body,egr block off,stainless bolt set,mass air sensor,modified 5.3 harness for standalone and LS1 injectors w current performance fuse and relay box and UN-flashed PCM.... I guess off to e-bay it goes anyone have suggestions on what its worth as a package I bought all of it piece by piece for my 5.3 swap.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts

If you have everything....why not use it ?

I (as most) didn't have that option.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Teching In

the whole tunning thing.... I know how to tune a carb var when I add upgrades....EFI...not so much.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got a ls transam and tuned with efi live the tuner fuked up my tune the car went lean and detonated and spun a rod bearing, so now iam goin carb on my car and i will never turn back, and did i mention i drove my car from central new jersey to ocean city maryland for crusing ocean city spring 2012 and she poped there that sucked, fml
Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

If you were to lean out with a carb it could happen just as well. With a tuner, you have to pay to play. Especially with efi.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Every time I see an EFI tuner eating at Sonic because he can't afford a better lunch I shed a little tear of sorrow.
Poor EFI boys
Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by monte383sbc
i got a ls transam and tuned with efi live the tuner fuked up my tune the car went lean and detonated and spun a rod bearing, so now iam goin carb on my car and i will never turn back, and did i mention i drove my car from central new jersey to ocean city maryland for crusing ocean city spring 2012 and she poped there that sucked, fml
That sucks...see thats what Im worried about...I think a carb can but Is LESS likely to lean out most the time Ive seen carbs run a little fat any way and to me its easier to change a jet,and bump the timming than go through a bunch of confussing graphs and files dont get me wrong it would be cool to learn to tune but in this economy with my budget its just not feasable i'd rather put that money into parts and go faster
Old 01-29-2013, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Robertvon
Its good to hear ..... I guess I know what direction to go ...just need to get rid of the fuel injection stuff I bought over time so I can get me a carb and intake. I know there are the rules for posting in the for sale section so I wont be able to post it because me being a forum newbie...
I have a complete LS1 intakeW/injectors,throtle body,egr block off,stainless bolt set,mass air sensor,modified 5.3 harness for standalone and LS1 injectors w current performance fuse and relay box and UN-flashed PCM.... I guess off to e-bay it goes anyone have suggestions on what its worth as a package I bought all of it piece by piece for my 5.3 swap.
PM sent.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was carbed for three years with my L92 headed LQ4. Worked great. Made a ton of power. I desired more drivability and wanted to add a turbo. So I went megasquirt. Just got it fired. It's weird that you can tell it how to run and it does it. Max power tuning is simple with efi. Drivability tuning is a little trickier.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
This was my first performance carb project, so yeah, in the initial stages of the learning curve I questioned whether this was the right choice. Took me a couple of years to get it just right. But now that I have the carb pretty well dialed in I have no regrets. Car pulls cleanly in 4th gear from 1200 RPM, has great throttle response and pulls down 25 mpg when driven sanely. Plus I just love the look of the carb and that big Moroso air cleaner.

The MSD ignitions are a dream on these cars too. Very easy to tune and gives us options that simply were not there with the old single coil and mechanical advance dist. I would strongly recommend a wideband O2 if you really want to dial in the carb for maximum drivability. Don't know how guys did it before.

My car is a summer's only project car, so if I had to drive it regularly in cold weather I would probably convert over. I made that worse then it needs to be because I wanted to keep the manual choke.

One thing you can do is go ahead and run an in tank EFI pump with a carb regulator up at the motor. That way you have options should you decide to convert later. A baffled sump is helpful with carb motors too.
How does the wideband O2 work with a carbed setup? I'm new to how this MSD 6010 ignition works.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Robertvon
How much you want for all of it? I'm interested and local. The carb setup I have may not fit under my hood at all and require a custom hood so I may need an EFI setup to fall back on.

Quick Reply: Any regrets for converting to carb?