Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

noob questions about carb'd lq9/lm7

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob questions about carb'd lq9/lm7

I've located a couple motors nearby me. My options as of right now are, lq9 for around 1300 or 5.3 to start with fitment and "getting it all running" and later getting a new crate motor. First question I have, what power levels is it capable of in stock form and will it be good for boost?(head change/piston change.. etc?) The 5.3 would get boosted but not until I get it running in the car first. I can also get the 5.3 next to nothing fwiw and they're a dime a dozen here. Well over 100k miles as well.

Second question. Whatever motor I do choose, what exactly would I need from a pullout. I already understand I need the carb/intake and headers, fbody oil pan or aftermarket. But, when it comes to ignition control are the msd units standalone? Like no ecu? Just attach grounding and power going to msd unit and motor? And is there one better than the other when it comes to turbo applications down the road?

If it helps, I'm going carb'd with one of the motors above into 2nd gen fbody with nothing in it, starting from absolute scratch and I'm willing to buy parts for my future plans of turbo as long as it will run it N/A to make sure all is well. My main purpose is to have the car ready next year for a beefed up longblock swap and turbo swap. Cost isn't much issue. Just time to accumulate funds for extra expenses Lol. Thanks in advance for any help or guidance anyone may provide.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Power, ground and tach signal and the MSD box is ready to go. About as easy as it gets. the MSD lets you put in a 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor so it supports boost just fine.

An LQ9 will build into a fine engine. Maybe more compression than you want for a boost application. But NA it is a great motor.

Since you are boosting it sticking with the 5.3 is not a bad option. It will make a lot of power and will be cheaper to replace should you blow it up.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Power, ground and tach signal and the MSD box is ready to go. About as easy as it gets. the MSD lets you put in a 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor so it supports boost just fine.

An LQ9 will build into a fine engine. Maybe more compression than you want for a boost application. But NA it is a great motor.

Since you are boosting it sticking with the 5.3 is not a bad option. It will make a lot of power and will be cheaper to replace should you blow it up.
I highly appreciate the info, it's what I suspected from all I've read, but had to get someone's touch of knowledge on the subject. As I said, I'm trying to get most of the stuff purchased while I'm stitching up the body. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a set of LQ4 pistons and rods with arp hardware and new bearings to knock down your compression if needed for cheap

But MSD has made the carb swap quite easy

Quick Reply: noob questions about carb'd lq9/lm7