Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Working on a arduino using GPS and DC motor to drive 68 speedo.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working on a arduino using GPS and DC motor to drive 68 speedo.

My project has been on hold so figured while the car is at body work, I could do a project. I wanted to do this some time ago but did not get to it as the car was not a priority.

Some of the parts
---------------------
-Arduino Uno
-Adafruit GPS shield
-ufl to SMA (for external GPS antenna)
-GPS Antenna
-Motor Drive to use PWM
-RS-555 12V DC Motor
-IR emitter and receiver to make RPM monitor if needed of DC motor to creat feedback/ self corecting loops for DC motor speed

The GPS shield shows 10 times per second updating but I will aim for 5 times per second.

Not sure if the motor will work.. but I would like to use 2:1 or 3:1 gearing if needed.

Not sure if I will attach motor directly to back of speed or use a short speedo cable. Experimentation and time will tell.

I figured the GPS make this universal. Once I perfect the code and design I will post it here for anyone to use.

The original speedo is about 1000 Rotations per Mile so 1000RPM at 60 MPH and 2000RPM at 120 MPH.

Thoughts?

Bruce
Old 02-05-2014, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like a very fun project and I wish you the best of luck. Have you decided what specific motor drive and IR sensor you're going to use. robotshop.com was my best friend when I was building a robot for school, they have a pretty good selection.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CayenneRedV6
Sounds like a very fun project and I wish you the best of luck. Have you decided what specific motor drive and IR sensor you're going to use. robotshop.com was my best friend when I was building a robot for school, they have a pretty good selection.
I actually ordered my stuff from robot shop (Canadian side). All my stuff is either here or on order. Hopefully have everything in a week or so.. That way I can see what the motor will do under load and prototype my feedback loop for motor RPM.

I was pickup up the signal from the speed sensor... but figured less wirers outside the car and easier to test using the gauge cluster etc going for a drive in current car. If the current motor will go down low enough I should have something prototyped and running and a few weeks. It really not much to do this. Most the time is playing and fab work for the motor to connect to the gauge cluster. I might have to do what cable X did and run a speedo cable from a box to gauge cluster but I will try to avoid this is possible to decrease parts that can break and cause friction/load on the motor.

I and goign to use tony GPS. Might be able to log data and do a 1/4 ET too within + or -.1 seconds. Regardless fun to play with and good learning experience.

Bruce
Old 02-27-2014, 08:28 PM
Launching!

I was able to get some work doing tonight on this. I soldered the headers on the GPS shield and was able to code the GPS and get all sorts of information latitude, longitude, elevation speed etc. The antenna I purchased even works int he house so will be perfect for the car!

Now to work on the motor controller and mating the motor to the speedo of the car.

baby steps..... and I will get there!

Bruce
Old 02-27-2014, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01Z28Camaro
You should be able to make it work. I would of went off the transmission speed sensor. I'm doing that for my boost by speed function. Although I may end up going off front wheel sensor since mine will be in fbody cars.
I was going to go off the speed sensor int he 4l80e but was harder to test, had a circuit on a protty board.... but figured GPS so much easier and then would work for anyone. With this, I can test it using a battery or feed from the cigarette lighter once I get that far. I do not expect many problems.... main issue is will the motor I have turn down to a low enough RPM .... time will tell.. If I need to I will do a gear drive to get the minimum RPM up to were I need it.

Bruce

Quick Reply: Working on a arduino using GPS and DC motor to drive 68 speedo.