Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Cam and intake selection

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam and intake selection

Working on selecting a cam and intake for the motor im building. Its a 6.0 bored .070 over, (so a 376) Wiseco Pistons, compstar rods, Running L92 heads. going to be a primarily street with some strip car. Car weighs in at about 3400lbs. Undecided if going auto or manual. With the recent release of the Holley Dual plane, i feel that's going to be the best option for a driver car. Anyone have some real world experience with it yet? As far as cam goes, whats going to take the most advantage of the L92s, while maintaining a broad power range?

The tech at Comp recommended a 54-426-11. (222/224, 12lsa) while this seems like a decent street cam with a broad power range, personally i feel as though something like a 54-469-11 (231/247, 113lsa) is going to take far more advantage or the bigger displacement and heads im running. Sorry about the ramble, its just a lot of decisions before spending $400+ on something! what cam are you guys with this combo and a carb running? would i benefit more from going with the Vic. Jr?
Old 03-27-2014, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Why not go custom? Rectangle port heads are picky and usually like a big split from what I've seen, and also the intake you're choosing will want something different than a regular plastic intake does. Only $25 extra so it doesn't hurt.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck of your build. The last piece you should buy is the cam. Who ever makes it should ask you quit a few questions. The first what size engine? Second what compression?
That is just a start give us a call at Cam Motion when you are ready we will happy to spec your cam for you. We have all parts for the cam set up.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice to see you over here in the carb section Kip. I'll be contacting you when i'm ready. Still trying to figure the combo, i know i'm gonna build a 408, just not sure on which heads i want to run, cath ports or LS3's.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MN_luda
Working on selecting a cam and intake for the motor im building. Its a 6.0 bored .070 over, (so a 376) Wiseco Pistons, compstar rods, Running L92 heads. going to be a primarily street with some strip car. Car weighs in at about 3400lbs. Undecided if going auto or manual. With the recent release of the Holley Dual plane, i feel that's going to be the best option for a driver car. Anyone have some real world experience with it yet? As far as cam goes, whats going to take the most advantage of the L92s, while maintaining a broad power range?

The tech at Comp recommended a 54-426-11. (222/224, 12lsa) while this seems like a decent street cam with a broad power range, personally i feel as though something like a 54-469-11 (231/247, 113lsa) is going to take far more advantage or the bigger displacement and heads im running. Sorry about the ramble, its just a lot of decisions before spending $400+ on something! what cam are you guys with this combo and a carb running? would i benefit more from going with the Vic. Jr?
Did you sonic check that block? .070 over is pushing it.

Quick Reply: Cam and intake selection