Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

V6...Premium Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default V6...Premium Gas?

Has anyone had good results using it over standard? I went from 12.6 mpg to 23.8 mpg city in my V6 Camaro. Filled it back up like 3 quarters with standard and got 14.8 mixed city and mostly highway. So my last tank I put premium back in it, and I can already tell I am not burning as much gas from where the needle is..

So yeah, I actually can't wait until my next fill up so I can see if premium is still holding up.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

only difference between regular and premium is the octane rating, the resistance to knocking. i call bullshit that you went from 12.6mpg to 23.8. its impossible
Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for some reason i thought that regular will generally get you better mpg because the fuel doesnt burn as quick and doesnt make quite as much power? can be totally wrong tho
Old 03-11-2009, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Premium won't do jack for a 3.4 V6. You're better off just running regular. You may have gotten some bad gas or have gotten on it a bit more than usual. There's no other explanation for a sudden loss of gas mileage other than a mechanical fault (maybe a spark plug crapping out or a sensor biting it). Check your plugs and wires. Oh, and run 87, 93 isn't gonna do anything for you.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, idk.. I can't change 2 spark plugs so I am probably running on 4 cylinders. Whoever designed these cars should be shot. It took 8 hours to change the water pump because of the dumb **** design.

I am going to change the last two plugs this weekend. I really don't want to have to take the intake, alternator and a bunch of other **** off to do it so that is why I have been putting it off a few months.

But yeah, running premium seems to have skyrocketed my mpg, I don't care if you call bullshit, but damn, what else could it be? I guess something got knocked into place and it just seems like premium is getting better mpg. But it is really weird that it only happens while running it.

Also the first tank I put in the car got 20.4 or something. Ever since it has been 9 mpg to high 12 mpg. Have yet to break into the teens driving city except for when I ran premium a week ago.

I only ran it because my friends dad said it would clean the injectors or something.

Quick Reply: V6...Premium Gas?