Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Need some info Please, 83 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some info Please, 83 RS

Hey guys I was hoping you could help me, here is the issue.

My son wants to buy an 83 RS from one of his friends, but this friend lived up north where emissions is not required, so he took a few things off during his modifacations.

Any way I seen a phone pick of the engine bay and it looks like a V8 (305?) with a holly carb(thought they came with rodchesters or TBI, TPI??) also I can see in the pic it has headers on it.

I am going this weekend to look at the car with my son, and what I need to know is what all emission equipment it should have on it, we do require emissions testing here.

I would assume it needs CATS, Charcaol canister, Vented fuel tank, EGR, but what else?? did this year use air injections??

I dont want to help him buy the car if it will cost more to replace all the emission equipment than the car is worh although it might be fun to work on it with him..

Any help would be very much appriciated and Thank you.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

In most states any vehicle over 20 years old doesn't have to have an emissions test. Also if you can verify that it didn't come with CATS (or other emissions equipment) then you wouldn't have to put them on to make it legal. Call your local emissions testing facility and they can give you all the answers you need.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

What state do you live in? That will determine what you should be concerned about as far as emissions equipment. It could very well be exempt due to the age of the car.