Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

01 SS; My recent Build/Dilema's

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 01 SS; My recent Build/Dilema's

Nov. 07 I did a G5X3 cam swap and left a rag in the oil pan uppon re-assembly Luckily I noticed oil pressure slowly dropping until one day I had zero at idle. Pulled the motor and inspected it, didnt hurt anything. Once apart I decided to port the heads, TB, and add a Flaming River manual steering rack. Along the way I picked up some QTP long tubes to replace my Hooker's and some Black 17x11 ZR1's from TomZ.
I would also like to thank Fenster for the slave cylinder and mightyz28 for the motor mounts. Both items were not in the budget and I needed them fast. More on that later.

No pics of the ported 241's, my friend owns a company that ports heads so I had him do them for me. They flowed 300+cfm @ .6 and over 250 @ .4 I believe. He has the flow sheet somewhere. I ported the TB myself and fabbed up the whole steering assembly, another co-worker friend did the welding as he's much better than me. This project took forever cuz Im slow and busy all the time

Pretty welds

Bottom side of the weld

After all that work to get it in the car two problems occured. One, the new QTP headers took up all the space the link needed and two, the flaming river rack is offset 1.75" to the driver side compared to the stock rack. The rack was originally designed for a 99-04 stang. So I had to make an whole new steering link and 2 new ends to offset the rack.

Driver Side

Pass Side

Link, notice the "clearance/lightwheight" mod

Rack in with solid mounts from mightyz28 and QTP's from toneloc6

About .25" clearance. Prothane mounts dont let the engine move at all though so its plenty of room. They made my windshield crack grow instead.

Fresh off the jackstands after the first start in over 1.5 years

Forgot to make a header only idle vid (sounded so good) this was the next day with the TD's back on. Pardon the smoke, the exaust had been sitting for 1.5 years

As I pulled out of the driveway for the first time I heard a strange noise like a squeaky belt, no biggie prolly just cuz its new I thought. As I released the clutch it went away...then the smoke started flowing from the tranny/bellhousing. Come to find out the main metal piece of the slave cylinder that acutated the brand new Spec3+ had mysteriously vanished without a trace destroying all plastic on the throwout and sending ball bearing everywhere. Luckily Spec's rep on here suggested the 3+ has a carbon disc and the fluid would not hurt it and Fenser hooked me up with a BNIB slave/throwout super fast and I was back on the road in 1 week.

After 2 days of tuning on HP I ran a WOT 3rd gear pull only to find out my injectors were maxed out at 4800rpm So I scrounged around at work to find some 35.5 injectors we run on all our cars (turn into 41#'s at 4 bar) and of course they didnt fit perfectly. Has to make a little .22" spacer for the o-ring in the intake. That was sunday, mothers day. The first start up was easter. Ive got my PE and LTFT's pretty much inline now and hope to have it on the dyno in the next 3 weeks. I currently have about 700 miles on the clutch so I havent really done any WOT tuning, just 2 pulls in 3rd gear to confirm these injectors are big enough. I really need to polish the headlights and lower it though.

As it sits. I had to paint the chrome lip cuz chrome lips just are not my thing

Thanks to all who helped me complete this project