Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

R314-A air con pump oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R314-A air con pump oil

Hi ls1 tech guys,

Can anyone tell me if R314-A air con pump oil is piousness to humans and can I change the oil myself?
Old 06-13-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I shouldnt need to tell you that injesting it is not a good thing. Avoid the fumes, so use in a ventilated area. And wear some rubber gloves as well, the wife probly has a pair somewhere. Glasses are a good thing too.

You can change the oil yourself, but you need to remove the compressor for that. Thats a story on its own.

If you already have the comp off, pour out the oil into a MEASURABLE container, if you had no leaks before, its probly safe to use that same amount of oil in your new comp. It is very important you add the correct amount of oil, too much and you can damage the compressor and / or foul your system, and too little and the comp will live a short life. Find out how much oil to add to your system (call a GM dealer), measure it out, and dump it in. You may have to rotate the shaft a few times to get the oil to flow into the casing.

To recharging your system, you CAN just add some refrigerant. But what you SHOULD do is pull a vacuum on it and leak check it that way. Pulling the vacuum ensures you have no moisture or air in the system, both of which are harmfull to ALL of an A/C systems components. Adding the proper amount of refrigerant is important as well, not enough and your system will not cool to its full capabilities, and too much and you can over pressure the system and blow something up and you are doing it all over again, or hurting someone.

Most of this stuff requires special tools.

Good luck.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Hi cutlass_455,

Thanks for the explanation it helped me a lot, its a second hand pump I purchased off a 97 mustang cobra to go on my 97 Mustang SVT cobra, and I’m curious to what the oil actually does, do you know?
Old 06-14-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The oil is a lubricant for the compressor. If a system has a thermostatic valve, it could help keep that valve lubricated as well. A thermo valve is a moving part and lubrication helps. I dont know much about your vehicle (Ford), but it may just have a flow oriface (or oriface tube) instead of a thermo valve, and the oriface is a non-moving part.

The oil is a special oil, not just some 5W30 you would put in your engine. Its a special refrigeration oil thats made to still be a liquid at those low low temperatures.

Also, ensure not to let any dirt or debris get inside your new pump as this will quite hard to get out after.

Working with this A/C stuff, its sort of a specialize thing, as you need some special tools, and special parts and special supplies. Then you need some special information like how much oil to add to the compressor, then you need to know how much refrigerant to add.

Quick Reply: R314-A air con pump oil