Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

exhaust ticking/knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust ticking/knocking noise

hey there fellas. i bought a 99 z28 a few months ago and a noise just started. whenever the car gets warmed up to temp a ticking noise starts coming from the exhuast by the back quarter panels and from right under the car by the cat converter. i asked the autozone gm and he said he had no idea if the check engine light wasnt on. ive been told it could be the cat converter clogging up and heating up. is this true and how can i fix it? please help i just boguht this car and upset something might be wrong already
Old 07-16-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be a slight exhaust leak. Is it only from the sides there? Like you don't hear it coming from the valve covers or engine itself? Only from the area near the cat?
Old 07-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theres no ticking from the engine but under the car by where the cat converter is the ticking is more consistent and faster. but its the most loud by the tips of the exhaust. i talked to a mechanic the other day and he said its just cooling down, its not a big deal, and thats the sound that type of metal makes when it gets hot and needs to cool off.

Quick Reply: exhaust ticking/knocking noise