Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Need new clutch, have dilemma('94 Z28)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new clutch, have dilemma('94 Z28)

Ok, I bought a 1994 Z28 Camaro with the Tremec T56. Seemed like it was in really good condition....4 hours later the clutch blew up.

So I went to a guy in town that it supposed to be a brilliant clutch guru, and he said because it's an odd-ball pull type clutch he can't build me one and the only thing he can order is an OEM kit that's $306 and is being discontinued.
"I don't know what you guys are going to do when that kit's gone." he tells me.
I asked him about the Spec and Centerforce Stage 1 and 2 kits and he told me they were cheap Chinese ****.

Also, I was planning on fixing it and then storing it for winter (I bought it as a toy and I live in Michigan) and he told me I should store it and install the clutch in the spring because it has a"50-60% chance of sticking if stored in a cold garage all winter."

The friend who referred me to him (and was real impressed with the ceramic 6 puck and flywheel he build for his superchargered 3800 powered Fiero) says he's baffled and disappointed with what he's told me and says that storing the car with a new clutch in it will be fine.

He then pointed me to a Sachs cluch kit that's $237 (also saw one for $270ish but couldn't figure out the difference, they both specified they were for the 5.7 liter) http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...ml?brand=sachs

Sachs has a good reputation with suspension, and I'm told they do the OEM clutches for Chrysler.

So my dilemma is: do I go with the Sachs, or is there a better choice? The car has intake, headers and exhaust with a chip and I don't expect to be making more power anytime soon so I feel like OEM components are probably good enough.

And will storing it with the clutch installed create and issue?

Thanks in advance, my midlife crisis is not going well
Old 12-20-2012, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Id be looking for another mechanic.oem clutch will work fine for your set up.I store mine for 6 months out of the year with no issues.There are quite a few choices if stock isnt really what you want try competition clutch ,ram,spec, diamond,mcleod and the list goes on and on.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Launching!

That mechanic is a moron. Centerforce makes great clutches.

EDIT: The more I read of your email... seriously, this guy is a complete tool. The LT clutch isn't an "oddball" and you shouldn't have any issue with the clutch 'rusting' to the flywheel. I live in Minnesota (just as much snow and cold as you) and have worked in the automotive field for quite some time, that said... I've seen maybe two or three rusted clutches in my entire life and those are typically older clutches with a lot of use and that see a lot of rain/snow/salt...etc

Get a new clutch guy.

Quick Reply: Need new clutch, have dilemma('94 Z28)