Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Debating adding ASR traction control

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Debating adding ASR traction control

So I just bought an 02 FBody with no ASR. I owned a 2000 and never minded having it bc my gf would drive the car too and it was good piece of mind. So this car not having it makes me a little nervous bc she (now the fiancé) will be driving it some as well. Making it worse she drives a new WRX which is like the exact opposite in terms of having to worry about loss of traction. She's a skilled driver but it's wet weather that I'm concerned with.
So... Ive read that most people hate the ASR no matter what. I can understand that but in my case it would serve a purpose. So the question is, what exactly is needed to add it onto a car that didn't have it? Is there anything close aftermarket-wise that could be used instead?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:27 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ASR (RPO code NW9) cars used 4 channel ABS vs 3 channel of the non-ASR cars. Not sure what would be needed from a 4-channel car, but I'm guessing something regarding tuning would be necessary. You'll also need the actual motor (I have one I'd give you for free), and the cables.

However, why not just let your fiancee drive the car as-is and ensure she pays attention to changing weather conditions? Plenty of women drove in the rain before nannies were invented
Old 01-14-2013, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed
However, why not just let your fiancee drive the car as-is and ensure she pays attention to changing weather conditions? Plenty of women drove in the rain before nannies were invented
This. My little brother's car didnt come with ASR and he daily drives his car (over 450rwhp on motor) and he hasn't ever had a problem on street tires not spinning when he didnt want it to.

Just makes sure that she knows she has to pay attention to what she is doing and it shouldn't be an issue. If it's a mostly stock car, you will have to make it break traction anyway. LOL!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

yea, my 2000 had it until a deleted it out. Ii annoyed me too much, but i am glad to know some people like it.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Its a waste of time in my opinion. actually just today i went for a spin and its kind of wet out so I left ASR on just in case. well im headed back to the house and i decide to go 1st-2nd-3rd wot on this nice little stretch. 1st gear around 2500rpms i hit it and forgot the damn ASR was on, And it starts poppin my gas pedal back and jerkin the car more than it wouldve without it even on. Its really annoying man and actually, i think it can cause loss of control more so then not having it at all. Just my .02 cents. Goodluck either way you decide.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Might be a dumb question but what about adding traction control to a car that makes alot of power and torque? I peeked my head inside "daddy daves" sonoma and found a traction control box??
Old 07-04-2014, 07:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Complete waste of time and entirely too complicated to just add it. There are a ton of differences in wiring required abs modules etc between ASR and non ASR cars. That and ASR on these cars completely sucked it works entirely different than traction control on any modern vehicles. ASR on these cars could possibly save you but I've had more than one instance where it damm near got me because the car refused to do what I asked it to.

Quick Reply: Debating adding ASR traction control