Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

97 LT1 Power Steering Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 97 LT1 Power Steering Question

Hey all,

Have a 97 Z28 with 75k miles on it. Had a quick question with the power steering fluid. I have been storing my car since late November and have done a couple start ups since then along with some block drive arounds (haven't had the best of weather). Since December it hasn't really been started, been busy with college and weather has been shitty. Anyways since spring is rapidly approaching I did a good look over this past weekend. Checked brake fluid, oil, radiator fluid and all checked out good. Also checked water pump and all that stuff and no leaks, also checked all the lines for coolant etc. I finally worked my way over to the power steering fluid. I open the cap and I seen a film covering that looks exactly like chocolate milk (no particles or lumps were in the fluid). I dipped my finger in (about 1-2in) into the fluid and pulled it back out and it showed perfectly clear on my index finger. Should this be something to be concerned about, looking to start it up this weekend possibly (going to be close to 60 here in Nebraska). Also anything I should do "special" since my car has sat for about 2 1/2 months or so (i remember posting a similar thread last year and someone replied about pulling a fuse and priming the pump or something).

Thanks in advance for the help. I'll post a picture tomorrow once I get home.

Quick Reply: 97 LT1 Power Steering Question