Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

ultra z hood, heat extractor

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ultra z hood, heat extractor

This is my first thread and I'm not sure if it falls in this section.

I'm sure I'm not the only guy on here that has a Ultra Z hood and worries about it flying off at speeds near 140. A buddy and I were thinking of ways to reduce the amount flex and lift in the hood at 140+ without adding hoodpins. What we came up with works great and adds a huge benefactor of allowing more fresh air in the engine bay as well as keeping engine bay temps lower.

We realized that the main reason the hood wants to left at speed is because the air box at the front of the hood. It traps all the incoming air and with the very small vent holes on the back side of the airbox, the box was working much like a parachute.It just traps air. So that's where we started. We increased the size of the vent holes that lead into the engine bay. How large?, more than twice the size the stock ones were.

Stock:

Afterwards:

From the front:

My buddy said that should do it, (back round; we're both in aviation so lucky for us we have a pretty good idea on how air flow and lift work ) but I figured that with the hood off I could also add something that I've always wanted. Heat Extractors that look awesome and work. To make this happen I looked at the rear of the hood just before it meets the front window. I saw it was a hollow box, much like the one at the front minus the grill and vents. So I simply cut a couple of holes and well I now have a great working hood with a great looking heat extractor that WORKS! With the new extractor outlet vents I did add aluminum screening to keep out any foreign objects that don't belong in the engine bay.

Now I have a hood that lets in cold air AND allows hot air to escape. I did this about 6 months ago and have had absolutely no issues with it.
Here are all the pictures to go with this How To.

Someone please teach me how to display the pictures without using links. I'm using photobucket.

Leave any questions or comments.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 15T01Z28
This is my first thread and I'm not sure if it falls in this section.

I'm sure I'm not the only guy on here that has a Ultra Z hood and worries about it flying off at speeds near 140. A buddy and I were thinking of ways to reduce the amount flex and lift in the hood at 140+ without adding hoodpins. What we came up with works great and adds a huge benefactor of allowing more fresh air in the engine bay as well as keeping engine bay temps lower.

We realized that the main reason the hood wants to left at speed is because the air box at the front of the hood. It traps all the incoming air and with the very small vent holes on the back side of the airbox, the box was working much like a parachute.It just traps air. So that's where we started. We increased the size of the vent holes that lead into the engine bay. How large?, more than twice the size the stock ones were.

Stock:

Afterwards:

From the front:

My buddy said that should do it, (back round; we're both in aviation so lucky for us we have a pretty good idea on how air flow and lift work ) but I figured that with the hood off I could also add something that I've always wanted. Heat Extractors that look awesome and work. To make this happen I looked at the rear of the hood just before it meets the front window. I saw it was a hollow box, much like the one at the front minus the grill and vents. So I simply cut a couple of holes and well I now have a great working hood with a great looking heat extractor that WORKS! With the new extractor outlet vents I did add aluminum screening to keep out any foreign objects that don't belong in the engine bay.

Now I have a hood that lets in cold air AND allows hot air to escape. I did this about 6 months ago and have had absolutely no issues with it.
Here are all the pictures to go with this How To.

Someone please teach me how to display the pictures without using links. I'm using photobucket.

Leave any questions or comments.
. Check out the hood on my car you won't have any issues
Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will be getting this hood soon. I will keep this in mind.

Quick Reply: ultra z hood, heat extractor