Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Tips for LS1 removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for LS1 removal?

Late last year I spun a bearing (I think) in my 99 Z28 autocross car. Now I finally have the time to do something about it. My plan was to take the engine out the bottom, removing the engine/trans/front suspension as one big piece. I don't have a lift, so I figure I'll use some decently tall jack stands, and use the cherry picker to lift the car rather than lower the engine if necessary.

Does anyone have any advice, tips, or alternatives that will make this job easier on me? It'll be my first time at this.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Who needs a lift!!!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pull mine out the top..
Old 04-09-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

BING BANG BOOM.

My only advice would be to get the legs of the crane as far to the right side of the car as possible so it doesn't obstruct the drivetrain from going in smoothly.

Goodluck buddy
Old 04-09-2013, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Okay, so that's pretty much what I had in mind. Allow a couple stupid questions, though.

What exactly are you hooking the cherry picker to on the car--core support, bumper structure, etc?

Are you unbolting the front suspension while it's on the ground, or while in the air, and then lowering down the suspension/engine/trans with a floor jack? If a floor jack, what are you balancing it on? K-member?

Are there any surprise electrical connections, fuel, or coolant lines that aren't immediately obvious from above or below that I'll rip in half if I'm not careful?

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the help.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 AM
TECH Regular

I used two of those ez straps that you can buy at any of your local hardware stores to lift from the core support itself (just wrap them around tight and space them out right and left). You unbolt all the suspension components on the ground before you start lifting.

I made a Tshape dolly that fits the LS1/T56 combo, that's the way I roll the whole boat in and out. others have used floor jacks and wood or just a couple of those floor dollies without any problems.

As far as surprise electricals go, just make sure you have all the connections from the ECU disconnected. There aren't really many surprises on these motors, obviously disconnect the heater hoses from the waterpump but yeah, it's pretty straight forward in that department.

Good luck man and if you need any more help or have any more questions feel free to ask.

Quick Reply: Tips for LS1 removal?