Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Question about Long Tube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Long Tube Headers

I am looking at buying long tube headers for my car but i have a couple questions. I was looking on ebay and saw speed engineering long tubes for dirt cheap and they were stainless. I also saw the same headers with a y pipe in a kit for a little more money. Are these headers any good? Do they come with everything i need to install them?

My car also must pass inspection, so i need cats, but my understanding is that you have to get a new y pipe when you get long tubes. If this is the case, does speed engineering make a catted y pipe i can get for their headers?

Almost forgot: 02 z28 ls1 m6

Thanks for the help ahead of time!
Old 03-23-2014, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only advice i can offer is that you get what you pay for. I have installed many Long tube headers on Corvettes and Camaros for the custom exhaust guy that my shop deals with. When customers bring me the expensive or name brand stuff it goes without a hitch, and 100% of the time when i get ebay headers or cheap stuff they don't fit. Like i am talking the collector wedged against the bell housing. Its terrible lol. Get something name brand and proven.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would also plan ahead for future mods and get 1 7/8" headers. If your looking for something a bit cheaper check out TSPs headers. I believe they sell a y-pipe also.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I just installed the Speed Engineering LT's w off road Y pipe. Things went pretty smooth but the Y pipe hit the underbody in more than one spot. It took longer to bang (with a hammer at first then with an air hammer) down the *frame and realign the piping then to install the headers themselves. I should have installed motor/trans mounts at the same time. Lessons learned.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:40 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are several threads on the Speed Engineering headers in the Gen III External section. I've installed a set of the Speed Engineering headers on a friends car and they fit perfect (as did the Y-pipe).

Quick Reply: Question about Long Tube Headers