Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Would the heater core work as a power steering cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would the heater core work as a power steering cooler?

I have a 2000 SS and had to replace my power steering "cooler". After doing so research I realized I should have just bought a trans cooler and deleted the factory cooler. Well it turns out my heater hose had a leak too so I bought a bypass hose (I live in FL and don't use the heater). Would I be able to use the old heater core as a power steering cooler so that I can still delete the stock "cooler"?

Also this all kind of snowballed from a small power steering leak that I thought originated at the cooler (as you can imagine, ps fluid in coolant and vice versa). It did, but now I am still losing power steering fluid at a fast rate somewhere else. Where is the most common place for them to leak? I figured if the cooler was replaced, the next logical spot would be the ring seal between the reservoir and the pump. Would that cause me to lose a lot of fluid fast if it was bad?
Old 03-30-2014, 04:23 PM
Launching!

You'd have to turn the fan on to get any real cooling effects out of what you're talking about.

Assuming you're keeping it in the stock location.

The size of lines is going to be drastically different. 5/8x3/4 IIRC
Old 03-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by maxharvard
You'd have to turn the fan on to get any real cooling effects out of what you're talking about.

Assuming you're keeping it in the stock location.

The size of lines is going to be drastically different. 5/8x3/4 IIRC
Well if there would be no problem with it, I would just mount it underneath the car behind the air dam and cut a small rectangular box out like most people end up doing, but with a trans cooler.

Quick Reply: Would the heater core work as a power steering cooler?