Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Just Wanted to Share my 93 Z-28 Story (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Wanted to Share my 93 Z-28 Story (pics)

I was looking around for something to play around with in the garage in my spare time. I bought this car on Ebay. Guys' wife bought the car new in 93 and it was driven by her to and from work about 80 miles a day for many years. While married to her first husband, the car quit running and was parked for about 5 or 6 years.

Luckily for her and the sake of the car, she remarried to a motorhead! This dude put alot of money and his time into getting the car back on the road and safe to drive. The list of things he replaced, or repaired was extensive. Things like a new MSD opti, plugs/wires, water pump, radiator,hoses, o2 sensors,IAC, throttle position sensor, ALL fluids,BBK UD pulley,battery and a few other things Im leaving out. The fact the car was pretty much a single owner car and the recent work that went into it, is what prompted me to buy it....as well as a great price. I flew my son out to pick the car up and drive it back home to me.

After getting it home, I had done a few things to the car myself. I added tubular rear control arms & panhard bar. Brand new (nos) rear shocks, poly sway bar bushings in front and rear. New brakes and drilled rotors were also added. Found a great deal on CL for the TT's with decent tires for $400. so I jumped on those!! Among other things, I repaired the oil sender wire, and temp gauge and also pulled and resealed the intake.

The end result of the work from the PO and myself netted a pretty nice driver. I drove it for a little while, then came upon some financial obligations which forced me to have to sell it. I sold it to a good buddy of my sons'. Things got a little worse before they got better though...I also had to sell my 2002 Z06. For the first time in 12 years,this left me with no car in the garage and a hole in my soul... I guess I get attatched to my cars more than the average person. I spend alot of time and of course money on all my cars, so it kinda bothers me when I sell them.

Fast forward a year now. My son called me and told me his buddy said the car quit running and was sitting. After dropping a few subtle hints to the wife, I was able to buy the car back for $1500. less than I sold it to him for. As an added bonus, only a couple of weeks prior he just had 2 new BFG,s put on the rear.

So once again, I have a toy in the garage to tinker on. After some troubleshooting, I determined the MSD opti qiut working correctly. I found out MSD could rebuild the distributor with all new internals as well as a new cap and rotor for about $115.00 + shipping costs. Of couse, having all apart gave me the opportunity to replace the plug wires, so I put in some 8mm packards in red. While waiting for the MSD to get back, I decided to go ahead and replace the inop AC compressor,dryer and expansion valve. Also went ahead and ordered an aluminum air intake elbow, as the old one is really torn at the mounting point of the TB. Right now, its on the lift in the garage awaiting the AC compressors arrival.

I plan on rebuilding the front end adding headers next. The color scheme will be obviously black, with chrome/polished bits ie: valve covers & diff cover and exhaust tips. Red parts will be added where possible...strut brace etc etc. So without further adue....some pics. thanks for reading and looking through my post.

equipment

Pics from Ebay ad

At home in its new room

The work begins

cleaned up and ready to reseal

some under carrage cleaning

new control arms, shocks & panhard bar

before and after clay bar and Black Box waxing

the $400. TT2's

MSD in

More to come as I add things, fix things or.... ruin things
Old 06-08-2014, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great find, how many miles are on it? It looks mint for a 93 that was someone's daily driver.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. 150k
Old 06-08-2014, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Wow that's one hell of a daily driver!
Old 06-09-2014, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

I like it for sure...I know its not an LS beast, but Ive had that pleasure before.... Its something to drive on weekends and tinker with, so it satisfies me! Its also ALOT more affordable to modify than my Z06 was.

Tomorrow the AC compressor will be here....also my xhaust reducers will be here so I can get the stainless tips welded on. Ill post up some pics when I get the AC back together. Im hoping to have it running again by the weekend.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a soft spot for 93's. I had a super low mileage 93 Z28 hardtop with a six speed for my senior year in high school and for a couple years after graduation. Out of all my previous F-Bodies that I've owned over the past decade and a half, I miss that car the most. Yours looks great, keep up the good work!
Old 06-09-2014, 12:41 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My best friend had a '93 hardtop just like that in the early '00's. Nice and interesting story -- thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: Just Wanted to Share my 93 Z-28 Story (pics)