Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

98 Z28 with SS package?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Z28 with SS package?

Hey everyone I got a quick question. My friend has a 98 Z28 6 Speed with SS Hood, RAM Air Box and SS Spoiler. He bought it used but he claims that some Z28s came from the Factory with SS Hood, Box and Spoilers. Is this true? Is there a specific RPO code I should look for or does he just got a clone?
Old 06-29-2014, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Look for the wu8 pro code that indicates the ss package. If the car has additional slp options it will have a decal on the passenger door with a list of everything that was added.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by BMX-MIKE
Hey everyone I got a quick question. My friend has a 98 Z28 6 Speed with SS Hood, RAM Air Box and SS Spoiler. He bought it used but he claims that some Z28s came from the Factory with SS Hood, Box and Spoilers. Is this true? Is there a specific RPO code I should look for or does he just got a clone?
Every LS1 SS started off life as a Z28, so in effect it's true that some Z28s came from the factory with SS hood/spoiler/wheels.....and they called those cars "SS"s. Having said that, an SS will be badged as such (meaning no original SS arrived at the dealer lot with Z28 badges). Every original SS will show the "Z28" RPO, as well as code "WU8" (this is the SS-specific code). There was no way to get the hood/spoiler/wheels from the factory without ordering the WU8 "SS" package.

There are no drivetrain or mechanical upgrades included with or specific to the base SS package (other than a different muffler and larger front sway bar), so it's really nothing more than a cosmetic package in the first place.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Every LS1 SS started off life as a Z28, so in effect it's true that some Z28s came from the factory with SS hood/spoiler/wheels.....and they called those cars "SS"s. Having said that, an SS will be badged as such (meaning no original SS arrived at the dealer lot with Z28 badges). Every original SS will show the "Z28" RPO, as well as code "WU8" (this is the SS-specific code). There was no way to get the hood/spoiler/wheels from the factory without ordering the WU8 "SS" package.

There are no drivetrain or mechanical upgrades included with or specific to the base SS package (other than a different muffler and larger front sway bar), so it's really nothing more than a cosmetic package in the first place.
Ok so his Z28 HAS to have the "WU8" on his RPO sticker. Alright guys Thanks so much for your time and Info. I'll go look for it next time I see his car, and if it dosent have it I wont tell him. The guy loves his car ,and I dont want to burst he's bubble.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by BMX-MIKE
Ok so his Z28 HAS to have the "WU8" on his RPO sticker.
That is correct. If there is no WU8, then it absolutely did not come from the factory with an SS hood/spoiler, no matter what anybody tries to tell you. The only possible exception would be if the door has been swapped or if the SPID sticker on the door is somehow otherwise not the correct one for the car (you can easily tell by checking the VIN on the sticker against the VIN on the car). At that point you'd have to run the correct VIN through the GM VIS to get a list of the correct RPOs to verify if it's an original SS.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 06-29-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Teching In

If he's swapped the door, PM me the VIN and I can break down his RPO codes

Quick Reply: 98 Z28 with SS package?