Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Headers and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Headers and exhaust

Hey all, not sure if this belongs in the newbie forum, but I figured since it was a bit more specific to camaros I'd throw it here.

Anyway, I've got a bone stock 02 Z28 (with the exception of a magnaflow catback) and I'm looking into getting a set of longtubes. I'm debating between a catted or off-road Y-pipe (Would love to get a set of Kooks duals, but 1800 is a bit out of my price range), and I ran into a couple of questions.

Number 1: I live in Washington, and unfortunately in an area that requires emissions testing. Since it's OBDII, I know they don't do a sniffer test, but, without cats, is it possible to tune the PCM so that when they plug the scanner in, it'll still pass (assuming of course they don't do a visual inspection)?

Number 2: I've heard a lot of people talking about clearance issues after lowering, and I was planning on dropping the car 1-2". Are the only times the LT's scrape when going over speed bumps?

Lastly, Would I see much of a power difference if I just waited and got the Kooks duals?

Thanks all!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Anybody?
Old 07-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the emissions stuff but I have 1 7/8" tsp long tubes and live 'em.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you can tune the PCM where it reads the rear O2 sensors as fine and actually eliminate them. I'd cintact a reputable tuning shop in your area to double check, as I'm sure they know the local laws.

Quick Reply: Headers and exhaust