Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Ls2 Swap Into 2002 Camaro SS Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls2 Swap Into 2002 Camaro SS Questions

Hello,

I am seriously considering putting an LS2 from a GTO(with the 24x reluctor wheel so that I don't have to pull the crank or use the lingenfelter box) into my 2002 Camaro SS. I have a few questions though.

I am wondering if I should put the LS2/T56 combo into my car or just use the LS2 with my LS1 T56 transmission.
Which of those two options is easier to do?
I'm not sure what exactly needs to be changed to use the LS2 with an LS1 T56, but I'm pretty sure that it's less work than putting the entire LS2/T56 combo from a GTO into my 4th gen F-body. What needs to be done to use an LS2 with an LS1 T56?
I read that the shifters are in different places and that I'd have to cut the hole in my chassis for the different shifter location on the trans if I used the GTO transmission and I really don't want to do that, I don't want to pull the carpet and cut up my car.

Will my stock LS1 mounts accept a LS2 without any modifications ?

I've done a decent amount of research, I know I need to convert the throttle body to cable, I need to change the oil pan, and I need to drill and tap a hole into the side of the block to relocate the knock sensor..am I forgetting anything?

If I get an automatic LS2, other than having to reflash the PCM to a manual, is there anything else that I'd need to convert an automatic LS2 to a manual transmission F-body?

With my funds, all I'd be able to do is put a stock LS2 into my car. Will the LS2 bolt up to my oem exhaust without problems?
I know that the stock exhaust on a LS1 Camaro is restrictive, I can imagine it'd be extremely restrictive for a LS2..would my factory exhaust affect how the LS2 would run in my car? Would I need to get aftermarket exhaust for the LS2 to run normally in my car?

And finally, does anyone know a reputable source to buy an LS2 with the 24x reluctor wheel from? I've tried eBay & craigslist and that's about it..

I'd appreciate it if this thread doesn't go off on a tangent and if people only with first-hand experience in this situation and/or factual knowledge on the subject reply with productive input. I realize that some of my questions may seem ignorant, but I don't have a huge amount of experience with LS cars so keep that in mind. Thanks for your time.

-Lsx Rider

Last edited by Lsx Rider; 08-29-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Ls2 Swap Into 2002 Camaro SS Questions