Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Factory temp gauge issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory temp gauge issues

This is my first LS platform car (00 z28) and I've been doing a lot of searching and reading trying to figure out my issue so I apologize if I overlooked something!

The temp gauge on the cluster is not working. The car does not overheat, isn't hard to start, and doesn't run rough. When I click the ignition on it does flutter a bit but it doesn't move much. The sensor has been replaced, but the gauge still does not work. I want to avoid putting in an aftermarket gauge if at all possible and I don't have another cluster. I know there are threads all over about the temp gauges but none of them have helped me so I'm posting this. Thank you for any help and for the inevitable subsequent trolling!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not 100% sure how the cluster gets it's readings. But if it goes to the PCM first then to the cluster, have a data logger read the engine temp.

You could also get a multimeter on the terminals of the temp gauge and see what readings you get for the given temperature the sensor is seeing at that point. I believe it is a 0-5V signal.

Search around for temp readings vs voltage output for the sensor and try it out.

Or try it on your old one if you like. That way you know the temperature will be ambient air temp if the sensor has been sitting in a room and has normalized. Then you can put your hand around the sensor to see if the voltage changes.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The temp gauge is controlled using serial data from the PCM off of the engines ECT sensor. Cluster died. Need to use a tech 2 or equivalent aftermarket scanner and look at the actual vs displayed in the instrument cluster to verify. If motor runs fine ECT is correct plan on cluster being dead.

Quick Reply: Factory temp gauge issues