Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Help Fixing Turn Signals To Pass Inspection!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Fixing Turn Signals To Pass Inspection!

When it had the stock turn signals, the lens had a crack. So water would go through it, it ended up burning out the bulb and socket so replaced both sides. Went to Advance to replace the socket. Bought black housing turn signals, the bulb ended up burning the the turn signal housing. Took those out and bought LEDs and electronic flasher. After install, blew out about 5-6 fuses to the point where the car wounldnt start, no dash lights,headlights or fogs. So ive been driving around with out turn signals fora while, but need to pass inspection. Any solutions or ideas of what may cause this?
Old 03-10-2015, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to learn that you're having problems with your turn signals.

If you haven't done so already, double-check to ensure that you purchased "convetional" 3157-type sockets instead of "CK"-style 3157 sockets, as each style has unique contact points that are in different locations.

(Do a Google image search for "standard 3157 sockets" and you'll find several diagrams that distinguish the differences between the two socket types.)

Also, LEDs can be tricky: I have bought a few sets that haven't worked properly in several vehicles, no matter which way I turn the bulbs' connections.

Lastly, I've read that some LEDs shouldn't be used for the front running lights/turn signals in our cars, as the fluctuating (instead of consistent) current used to power our DRLs shorts them out. I haven't been able to verify this personally, but someone here on LS1-Tech may be able to explain this one way or another.

In short, I recommend that you check your socket style and use incandescent bulbs, just to be safe. Hopefully, this will solve your problem.

Good luck!
Old 03-10-2015, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Also, double-check to ensure that you wired both sockets up correctly. I've used those sockets from Advance, and, because all three wires are black, it has been a challenge for me to keep them properly identified.

I'd also use a generous amount of "bulb grease" in the sockets; it seems to dissipate the heat a bit and make the sockets last longer.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Help Fixing Turn Signals To Pass Inspection!