Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Longtubes and popping while shifting. Is that what they do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longtubes and popping while shifting. Is that what they do?

Just checking, do you guys get that little pop sound while up shifting at high rpms , "like a little back fire sound "with the longtubes headers. Why does it happen.? I did some searching. But I wanted to get experiences / opinions from the peps on this forum. I can't find any signs of exhaust leak any were and I looked very thoroughly. But maybe this is totally normal with a high flowing exhaust.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shift the car into 1st while coming to a stop sign or red light (downshift so you hit about 4-5k)

If its the same sort of gargly rumble, that's pretty normal. I believe it has something to do with the tune (I would imagine you're stock tune)

Its just unburned fuel in the exhaust lighting up, shouldn't be anything to worry about.

My s10 doesn't do it, my 3.4 bird did it, my 3800 camaro did it and my current ls1 camaro does it.(slowing down) the ls1 is auto the v6s were not.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you don't have one already, get a tune. I think there are some vendors on here that will do a good mail order tune for bolt-ons. My 3.4 Camaro did this with pacesetter headers and my rx7 did this all the time, I'd expect you're running a little rich and some unburnt fuel is entering the exhaust just like slasher said.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I was
Looking into the diablew tune. For the 150$ bucks. It's just it seems like a pain in the ***, all the data logging, uploading , downloading. Saving files , e mailing files. Tune revisions. Good grief!!! Maybe I'll install an AFR gage and I'll just tune it my self with the intune ,for the 150$. And then I have an AFR gage that I can retune for the diffrent seasons threw out the year. Hot/ cold , Ect. What you guys think!! About that ?
Old 04-01-2015, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not sure if he is a sponsor so mods feel free to pull this. Look into Frost Tunes It seems like people have really good luck with them.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ya those self tuning things really arent all that great theres so much more to tuning besides afr. If you really want to tune yourself then look into hptuners and a wideband o2. If not then frost tunes for 150 are a good way to go and the updates are free for 90 days iirc then 75 bucks after that

Quick Reply: Longtubes and popping while shifting. Is that what they do?