Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Very low idle at start up and coming to sudden stops

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very low idle at start up and coming to sudden stops

It's been running good latley. But today I notice when I started it it idled very low for a moment but then recoverd, and also when stoping then it will recover. It has a new. Iac, TPS , cleaned maf, and cleand throttle body. Maybe I'll try resetting the iac and the TPS. The battery volt on the dash are reading good. I'll check the alternator for the heck of it.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:55 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaper1
It's been running good latley. But today I notice when I started it it idled very low for a moment but then recoverd, and also when stoping then it will recover. It has a new. Iac, TPS , cleaned maf, and cleand throttle body. Maybe I'll try resetting the iac and the TPS. The battery volt on the dash are reading good. I'll check the alternator for the heck of it.
Two of my four LS1 F-bodies have done this on rare occasion. I've chased it for ages, tried a bunch of diagnostics and parts swapping and maintenance on common areas of concern, but never found the cause. Sometimes there will literally be several years in between the instances (one of them only did it one time so far in 10 years), so it's not common enough to be getting worse in my case. At this point, I just shut off the engine and turn it back on, that has always corrected it to date. On the rare times that this has happened to me it's usually been with an older battery vs. newer, so perhaps some learned idle parameters are being forgotten or corrupted between drive cycles due to lower-than-ideal voltage. But that is just speculation on my part.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. Yea I was thinking it had to be something like that, I'll check the battery and alternator. Like you said ,it did it a few months ago a couple times , but it just went away. Weird!! Thank you for the help

Quick Reply: Very low idle at start up and coming to sudden stops