Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Ls1 to ls3 swap 2002 camaro ss

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 02:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 to ls3 swap 2002 camaro ss

Hello ls1tech and fellow fbody owners, I'm fairly new to threading and stuff, I am reaching out to anybody that can help me with me ls3 swap in to my 02 CAMARO SS.
To start off, engine is a 2014 ls3 out of a Camaro that was badly sideswiped les then 16k miles. I bought it complete drop out for my 02. I know it was going to be a journey and a handful of head aches but I'm alive and 95% complete. The other 5% is my wiring issues.

I did not go with the Lingenfelter box due to bad reviews so I had the crank taken out and do the 24x reluctor swap on by a machine shop, and had installed a eps cam 3 bolt 1x sprocket to accommodate the 02 harness and computer. Now to start I have with my main issues. It starts once you give it has and maintain it when you let it idle it dies, also bogs and backfires a lot. I put on the stock ls1 MAP sensor on still the same tried a couple, same result. I am not getting a rpm number, reading,etc on my cluster, second I am not getting oil pressure either. 02 harness is a 1 wire for the oil sensor, I put the1 wire OPSU I got from autozone onto the piece on the side of the oilpan I drilled and tapped it because I couldn't find a short 1 wire 16m sensor. Is the 1 wire sensor need a ground somewhere?

And the ls3 was a 3 wire.
So I had no choice, so what could be the problem to that?

(I was thinking of using the ls3 OPSU but I need a 5v wire and a ground for it to work is that possible?

What can cause no RPMs?
I kept the stock ls3 cam position sensor and flipped the wires a to c and c to a, ran a bit better but still no RPMs can anyone help me? Or lead me to better ways?

Thank you guys in advanced.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the old lingenfelter boxes had issues. the new ones have a dedicated 12v source and are used without issue by a lot of people myself included. unless the motor was getting rebuilt there is no way i would let someone take it apart just to swap that out then slap it back together, way too many what ifs there. but anyway that wont help now so try this...

couple things, did you swap the crank sensor to a 24x sensor? the 58x one is gray and will not work on a 24x wheel which should be a black sensor. also do you have a 1x cam sensor in the front to read the cam? you will need one from an early vette or gto as the later 4x sensor will not work. The ls1 map also talks a little better with the ls1 pcm so i would use that as opposed to the ls3 sensor.

do not touch the OPSU the ls1 one works fine in the STOCK location on the valley there is no reason to move it. why did you move it? where did you drill and tap the pan? you cant use a 3 wire opsu with a ls1 pcm. If its not up by the oil filter you wont get pressure because there is none actually in the pan.I did the swap and everything is really just plug and play there really isnt any extra wiring to do even with going to a 24x setup, you just need to know what sensors need to be used and it sounds like you might still be using 58x sensors. I would put the cam sensor wires the way they're supposed to be for the swap and try what i said.

also the cam sensor is used to calculate rpm. so if you are using a 4x cam sensor thats the issue, if you are using all the correct sensors, check all the ground and such if thats not it the shop may have messed up the 24x install and the crank sensor cannot read the wheel correctly

Last edited by redbird555; 07-26-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by redbird555
the old lingenfelter boxes had issues. the new ones have a dedicated 12v source and are used without issue by a lot of people myself included. unless the motor was getting rebuilt there is no way i would let someone take it apart just to swap that out then slap it back together, way too many what ifs there. but anyway that wont help now so try this... couple things, did you swap the crank sensor to a 24x sensor? the 58x one is gray and will not work on a 24x wheel which should be a black sensor. also do you have a 1x cam sensor in the front to read the cam? you will need one from an early vette or gto as the later 4x sensor will not work. The ls1 map also talks a little better with the ls1 pcm so i would use that as opposed to the ls3 sensor. do not touch the OPSU the ls1 one works fine in the STOCK location on the valley there is no reason to move it. why did you move it? where did you drill and tap the pan? you cant use a 3 wire opsu with a ls1 pcm. If its not up by the oil filter you wont get pressure because there is none actually in the pan.I did the swap and everything is really just plug and play there really isnt any extra wiring to do even with going to a 24x setup, you just need to know what sensors need to be used and it sounds like you might still be using 58x sensors. I would put the cam sensor wires the way they're supposed to be for the swap and try what i said. also the cam sensor is used to calculate rpm. so if you are using a 4x cam sensor thats the issue, if you are using all the correct sensors, check all the ground and such if thats not it the shop may have messed up the 24x install and the crank sensor cannot read the wheel correctly
Ok yea I read about the new style working well but I went this way anyways. I have 24x black sensor for the crank. And the front cam is still the 4x I switched the a to c and c to a. I figured the problem on that. I got the map sensor extension, if found out right now why I couldn't get signal well because I had the map connector to the cam sensor and the cam sensor in the map. Switched it now it RUNS like a charm!!

My only issue now is the oil pressure is tapped out passed 80 while on and when it's off its back at 0. I tapped it the sensor ontop of the oil filter where that 2 bolt piece is. I've seen many many people put it there I don't see why it's bad?

How can I run the ls3 3 wire sensor to work with my car if my harness is a 1 wire?
Old 07-26-2015, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

its pegging out at 80 because the sensor is grounded out.

its not bad i assumed you meant you just tapped the pan which wouldnt have pressure. you cannot run a 3 wire sensor to the ls1 pcm. you need a single wire sensor so why not just run a stock ls1 sensor on the valley like the original was? you can plug the hole you tapped or run a remote stainless line to a clear place and use the ls1 sensor there.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:04 PM
Teching In

its pegging out at 80 because the sensor is grounded out. its not bad i assumed you meant you just tapped the pan which wouldnt have pressure. you cannot run a 3 wire sensor to the ls1 pcm. you need a single wire sensor so why not just run a stock ls1 sensor on the valley like the original was? you can plug the hole you tapped or run a remote stainless line to a clear place and use the ls1 sensor there.
grounded out?

Oh ok, I know there's no pressure in the pan ha ha. Reason I went down there was 1. The stock ls1 sensor is to tall and big, the fast intake hits it and applied pressure to it, and afraid it can break later, So I said screw that. I put the stock ls3 OPSU back on the valley cover. I can't locate a 1 wire OPSU with the m16 thread. The only one I found 1 wire same OPSU size as the ls3, the thread didn't match. It was I believe a 1/4" thread. So I had no choice but to buy that one and tap it on the piece above the oil filter.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:41 PM
TECH Veteran

well i should be more specific grounding out as in the pcm isnt seeing the proper resistance from the sensor since its the wrong one and therefore pegs the gauge. what vehicle was the sensor made for? i run a stock ls3 intake so i have no issues i didnt know the fast would cause a problem there. in that case the only thing I could think of is make a small elbow off either the back of the intake or opsu so you can mount the ls1 sensor and clear it. even if you found a sensor that would work i would have no idea how accurate it would be since it wasnt made for the ls1 pcm.

another option is to sell the fast, save a bunch of money and get an ls3 intake. a fast just inst worth it on an ls3 a properly modified ls3 intake will go hp for hp with any fast
Old 07-26-2015, 07:12 PM
Teching In

well i should be more specific grounding out as in the pcm isnt seeing the proper resistance from the sensor since its the wrong one and therefore pegs the gauge. what vehicle was the sensor made for? i run a stock ls3 intake so i have no issues i didnt know the fast would cause a problem there. in that case the only thing I could think of is make a small elbow off either the back of the intake or opsu so you can mount the ls1 sensor and clear it. even if you found a sensor that would work i would have no idea how accurate it would be since it wasnt made for the ls1 pcm. another option is to sell the fast, save a bunch of money and get an ls3 intake. a fast just inst worth it on an ls3 a properly modified ls3 intake will go hp for hp with any fast
oh ok I understand now. The sensor went on 98 s10 v6 I believe. So your running your stock ls1 OPSU then? I think ima just run a manual auto meter one to be super accurate already have the pillars for gauges might as well fill up the last hole. But I would life for my stock gauge to work tho(

I got the intake for mean while I'll be having a 416 in it in the near future so I got it for meanwhile I've read they don't make much with stock cubes but my body made 20rwhp from stock ls3 to the fast we will see the dyno this week. I def don't wanna pay some cash to fix up a ls3 stock mani.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your time bro I fixed everything and it was called "stop being a cheap ***" lol got the correct ls1 OPSU. My map and cam sensor connector where switched SMH!! Car now is running perfect running saturday
Old 07-28-2015, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BLKLS1CAMARO
Thanks for your time bro I fixed everything and it was called "stop being a cheap ***" lol got the correct ls1 OPSU. My map and cam sensor connector where switched SMH!! Car now is running perfect running saturday
where did you end up mounting it at
Old 07-29-2015, 01:48 AM
Teching In

where did you end up mounting it at
I put it where it went stock at the valley cover. Had to lightly sand. Maybe 1/16" off the intake for clearance.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts

see some pics??
Old 08-06-2015, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the club.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BODUKE