Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1996 Camaro SS #390 Restoration/Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1996 Camaro SS #390 Restoration/Build Thread

Although probably going to be an extended project I have finally brought the car out to begin the restoration.

Short History:

I bought the car in 2009 with 61K as an "R" Title for $4000. The guy had all the parts needed to be replaced (Upper control arm, Fender, Front Bumper, New ZR1 Wheel/Tire, Paint). $300 later ($4300 total investment) and she ran good up until I parked her at 81K miles. I parked her at my parents when I had my daughter and got married 4 years ago and haven't seen the car since.

I got the ok to bring her home this weekend. After $1500 repair work due to undiagnosed overheating issues (stated it was head gasket but I was 4 hours away so I could not verify) and replacing all fluids and brakes she seems to run just as I remembered all though she reeks horrible of rat **** (any suggestions appreciated).

I have planned my project in this fashion:

Stage 1: SLP Stuff

Unfortunately the previous owner had stripped some of the rare Z28/SS stuff so I am working at trying to collect this stuff first. If my deal goes through here shortly I should have it all besides the Passenger SLP Sticker and I wouldn't mind having a better condition air box.

Stage 2: Interior

A good portion of the hard plastics need repaired or replaced (Console, Rear Door Panels, Hatch Panels, Kicker Panels) and the seats need new covers. At that point I will probably order new carpet and SLP Floor Mats to conserve the original.

Stage 3: Motor

Plan on Stock Bottom End with LE2 Head/Cam setup, LPP Headers, and Ram Air Intake (as long as I can find a backup). This along with all the necessary supporting hardware.

Stage 4: Paint/Body

The parts that were provided were aftermarket and although they work I will need an OEM Front Bumper and Driver Fender to get best fitment. After I will be doing a factory Repaint of Bright Rally Red as well as getting an additional Gloss Black "Berger" panel.

Suspension: Going with a few of the powdercoated black UMI parts probably mostly 3 PT SFC and Panhard to start.

Anyways that's kind of my plans we will see where it goes but I will update with pictures and progress.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:26 AM
Launching!

First Order was to remove the ugly *** RK Sport Wing that had been on it since I purchased the car and replace with an OEM LT1 SS Spoiler that I bought of a wrecked 1997 Camaro SS from Hawks Third Gen.

Overall I am pleased the corners seem to sit a little high but for know I will deal with it. (I know my SS Emblems are out of place so no comments on that please)

Old 08-25-2015, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 151 Likes on 136 Posts

What part of Ohio are you from?
Old 08-25-2015, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nathan C
What part of Ohio are you from?
Out by Akron in a town called Barberton
Old 08-25-2015, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice to see one of these uncommon LT1 SS's being saved! Can't wait for more updates!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't wait to see more! Love the lt1 SS spoilers!
Old 10-11-2021, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how’d it end up?

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss
Although probably going to be an extended project I have finally brought the car out to begin the restoration.

Short History:

I bought the car in 2009 with 61K as an "R" Title for $4000. The guy had all the parts needed to be replaced (Upper control arm, Fender, Front Bumper, New ZR1 Wheel/Tire, Paint). $300 later ($4300 total investment) and she ran good up until I parked her at 81K miles. I parked her at my parents when I had my daughter and got married 4 years ago and haven't seen the car since.

I got the ok to bring her home this weekend. After $1500 repair work due to undiagnosed overheating issues (stated it was head gasket but I was 4 hours away so I could not verify) and replacing all fluids and brakes she seems to run just as I remembered all though she reeks horrible of rat **** (any suggestions appreciated).

I have planned my project in this fashion:

Stage 1: SLP Stuff

Unfortunately the previous owner had stripped some of the rare Z28/SS stuff so I am working at trying to collect this stuff first. If my deal goes through here shortly I should have it all besides the Passenger SLP Sticker and I wouldn't mind having a better condition air box.

Stage 2: Interior

A good portion of the hard plastics need repaired or replaced (Console, Rear Door Panels, Hatch Panels, Kicker Panels) and the seats need new covers. At that point I will probably order new carpet and SLP Floor Mats to conserve the original.

Stage 3: Motor

Plan on Stock Bottom End with LE2 Head/Cam setup, LPP Headers, and Ram Air Intake (as long as I can find a backup). This along with all the necessary supporting hardware.

Stage 4: Paint/Body

The parts that were provided were aftermarket and although they work I will need an OEM Front Bumper and Driver Fender to get best fitment. After I will be doing a factory Repaint of Bright Rally Red as well as getting an additional Gloss Black "Berger" panel.

Suspension: Going with a few of the powdercoated black UMI parts probably mostly 3 PT SFC and Panhard to start.

Anyways that's kind of my plans we will see where it goes but I will update with pictures and progress.

-how’d it end up? just got a 96 camaro, base model v6, about to do the same thing with it. been sitting for 3 years in the sun, grown over in grass and stuff, and i was looking around for other people doing something similar, and you got me interested in the story. just wondering if you ever finished it and some tips that might be useful or some things i should know before i head into this mess?

Quick Reply: 1996 Camaro SS #390 Restoration/Build Thread