Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1971 Corrupt Camaro build! Ls questions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1971 Corrupt Camaro build! Ls questions!

Hey guys new to ls1 tech always seen the four never signed up but now i ma here. I have a 1971 camaro i am doing a ls swap in and had some questions. so i bought a 5.3 truck engine wit 180k on it for 500 bucks with all accessories and harness with ecu my question is to get it to fit i was planning to swapping th els1 oil pan, baffle and pick up. I wanted to save money and keep all my truck accessories correct me if i am wrong but i was told with a holley bracket i can move the alternator and it will fit in the camaro fine. Also i was wondering for the intake i found an offer for a ls6 intake with rails injectors bolts gasket and tb drive my cable which is what the truck has DRC is 500 good deal? and can i make it fit. Another question i have is in terms of harness and edu what do i need to do
Old 02-08-2016, 10:35 PM
Teching In

I am mid swap in a 72 camaro with a LS3 at the moment. Def have been on many forums trying to find many answers. I am still stuck in a few areas but might be able to help. Not sure how close the ls1 is to the 3 but my alternator did have some small clearance issues. I actually ground the frame a little and got a bent steering arm to clear it. I only did this because the brackets you mentioned are quite pricey in my research. Another option my friend mentioned was a smaller alternator which I am going to be trying out since after doing my mods it just barely clears. The attached image is what my oil pan order consisted of. I also picked up a LS oil pump pickuo tube girdle from BRP. Might be overkill but since there is only one screw holding the pickup tube in I figured this was a good to be safe part. Sorry dont know anything about LS6 intake rails.

I used hooker engine mounts, transmission cross member and long tube headers so they would all work together. Having some questions about the tranny mounting to the crossmember but so far a good kit. Lots more but hopefully that helps a little.
Attached Thumbnails 1971 Corrupt Camaro build! Ls questions!-screen-shot-2016-02-08-11.29.13-pm.png  
Old 02-10-2016, 06:37 AM
Teching In

awesome! great to hear! i just bought a ls1 pan with tube dipstick tray etc, for 200 shipped off facebook. Currently in the process of working a deal for an ls1 intake, with injectors, rails and DRC throttle body. I think i am going to go ahead and buy the dirty dingo bracket because i can reuse all of my accessories and it moved the power steering pump up so it clears the steering.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by krausery
I am mid swap in a 72 camaro with a LS3 at the moment. Def have been on many forums trying to find many answers. I am still stuck in a few areas but might be able to help. Not sure how close the ls1 is to the 3 but my alternator did have some small clearance issues. I actually ground the frame a little and got a bent steering arm to clear it. I only did this because the brackets you mentioned are quite pricey in my research. Another option my friend mentioned was a smaller alternator which I am going to be trying out since after doing my mods it just barely clears. The attached image is what my oil pan order consisted of. I also picked up a LS oil pump pickuo tube girdle from BRP. Might be overkill but since there is only one screw holding the pickup tube in I figured this was a good to be safe part. Sorry dont know anything about LS6 intake rails.

I used hooker engine mounts, transmission cross member and long tube headers so they would all work together. Having some questions about the tranny mounting to the crossmember but so far a good kit. Lots more but hopefully that helps a little.
Also wanted to mention i do remember hearing a few times about the clearance issue with the alternator, and if i remember right i think people used a firebird steering arm because its dropped lower so maybe check into that
Old 02-10-2016, 06:40 AM
Teching In

Also anyone else that may know thank you in advanced i bought the motor harness and all i am not sure if i have the stuf needed to run a 4l60e so how would i know if i do is there another computer or fuse box for it is it all tapped into the same and i need to look for plugs?