Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Need ideas and help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need ideas and help

Ive got a 2000 camaro has the 3.8 in it. What I'm dealing with is when I'm starting the car im having issues. The car will start and run perfect everytime when it's from a cold start no problems. But once the car is warm and has been driven and say I stop to get gas for example the car gives me issues. The car will start and run but if I don't hit the gas it will stall shortly after. I have to hold down the gas at around 1000 to 1200 rpm and come down off of it very slowly and it will most of the time be fine. Other times it will just keep shutting down over and over. Any ideas? Any body ever run into?
Old 11-30-2016, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like something that only works when warm, like O2 sensor maybe. Try reading the codes. Get a OBDII to bluetooth and use the torque app on a phone to get a lot of info. Varies with car though.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
Sounds like something that only works when warm, like O2 sensor maybe. Try reading the codes. Get a OBDII to bluetooth and use the torque app on a phone to get a lot of info. Varies with car though.
Now correct me if im wrong but the O2 sensor detects how much oxygen is in the exhaust correct? I personally have never had a O2 sensor create a shut off secnerio. Also unless my car has a burned out light something my check engine light isnt on so there shouldnt be any codes thrown. Now every now and again my service engine soon light for oil changes and stuff comes on.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The O2 does read oxygen and is a feedback loop to the ECU so it know what AFR the motor is currently running. If the sensor goes bad and reads lean no matter what the exhaust looks like the ECU will add fuel to fix it, but the O2 will still read lean, so it keeps adding fuel. A fat motor will sound more like it has a big cam. A really fat motor stalls and is down on power. A completely fat motor won't run at all and hydraulics.

Quick Reply: Need ideas and help