Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Power steering pump promblems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 04:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump promblems?

Okay guys and gals, I need some help. I was curious to if anyone else is having this promblem? My power steering pump on my 2000 SS likes to gurgle over for some reason. Exspecially after I have gotten on the car a few times. Its not real bad but definately noticable. The other thing that Im sure that is also contributed from this is..... It only happens after I have heavily accelerated a couple times back to back. I get a loud whining coming from the engine. I figured it is probably due to the power steering pump trying to kick back fluid. But I may be wrong. Can you guys please help me out and let me know if their are others having this promblem, and what may be causing it.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Launching!

hey the only thing i can think of is that maybe you are getting air into your pump some how. if it is happening at a hard acceleration mostly, you might be sucking in air from somewhere. usually the pump wines when it doesn't have enough fluid. so if you are sucking in air at the pump it might be trying to force the fluid up causing the burping of the fluid and also putting air into the pump making it whine. check your pump for fluid leaks around the pulley seal. have you thought of just replacing the pump and seeing if the problem goes away? anyway good luck hope it helps.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Yeah I was just going to replace it but I have to wait till I get back home because Im stationed in Germany right now cause of the army. But I have heard from a few people that this was a commen promblem with ls1's. But you know how it is hearing stuff from others. Not always reliable.

Quick Reply: Power steering pump promblems?