Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

79 fiberglass z28 hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 fiberglass z28 hood

ive seen them once in a while, but I cant find them any more..does any body know where to find a fiberglass 1979 z28 fiberglass hood..ive allready found the fiberglass teardrops but now only need the hood...
Old 11-22-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

VFN Lists a 70-81 stock flat bolt on hood, $360.

http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm

I have 2 VFN hoods - one on my 94, one on my 98. The 94 is a bolt on, the 98 is a pin on. The quality is good, but there are certainly spots that have needed work (I'm not done working on them). Focused on the 94 bolt on hood right now, there are some spots that didn't get filled / bubbles / surface gave way when lightly pushed, and there are a few waves, but it's nothing a little filler, high build primer, and time with a sanding board can't fix. Fit is just about perfect, just needs time working on the finish.

It would not be too hard to turn a stock flat hood in to a 79 Z28 hood, just needs a little cutting and drilling.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

true..but i want it to be a functional hood...
Old 11-22-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, the ******** that owned my 79Z before me made my factory teardrop scoop "functional". He hacked out the 'inlet' of the scoop, and he cut a hole in the hood. Fortunately I have a spare scoop and hood from a car I parted out, that are in decent condition. Maybe one day I'll put that stuff on the car.

The scoop that's on my car is now cracked on either side, and yet the air inlet area is so small, I cannot possibly fathom how any performance improvement was made.

I can see the advantage of fiberglass in weight savings though. Those hoods are heavy, and every pound off of these beasts helps.

Quick Reply: 79 fiberglass z28 hood