Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Which new (maybe used) car to get?!! NEED HELP DECIDING!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which new (maybe used) car to get?!! NEED HELP DECIDING!!

ok, so as of right now I have three cars.
1. 1999 stock Z28 A4, t-tops, black w/gray leather (weekend/project car) (has 3.23 gears) w/ approx. 86,000 miles
2.2000 Mercury Cougar 2.5L v6 5speed (daily driver) w/ approx. 86,000 miles
3.1999 toyota camry 4-cyl. (wife's daily driver). w/ approx. 118,000 miles

We are keeping the Toyota... bottom line... it gets great gas mileage and is a perfect daily driver.
I love the cougar, have had it for 5 years now. It has a custom body kit and white 5-spoke tuner style rims. Paint is in excellent cond. and the car only has 86,000 miles. I had all the paint and body work done since I have had it. Trust me when I say the car looks great and anyone would be impressed by it.
The camaro we bought last year for a steal, because it has dings on it, and needs a new paint job.

So my dilemma is should I trade in the Z28 on a pristine condition 2000 Red Trans AM WS6, t-tops, 6speed, that has only 39K miles and have a really really nice, weekend car, I can tweak here and there and keep for a really long time? The Trans Am is $16,000 at a dealership somewhat nearby. If I do not necessarily get that particular trans am, I could find a really super nice one with low miles for roughly the same price tag give or take.
or
should I keep the Z28, get in painted, and the dings and other minor body work fixed (the estimate on that is about $1,750 total) and trade in or sell my cougar and get a new or slightly used mazdaspeed3 as a daily driver for about $19,000-$24,000?

I can only afford one car payment right now, because I just bought a house. I really like the new mazdaspeed3's, and I will have an LS1 in my garage no matter which route I decide. What to do, what to do...

Also, i just want to add. Although, I really love the cougar and have spent much time and money on it, I feel like I have outgrown it. It is a teenager's car. More specifically a teenage girl's car... LOL. But very good looking nonetheless. On the other hand, I would love to get a much nicer, newer, with much less miles on it, 6speed LS1, and get rid of the A4.

Also, I have done much research on the mazdaspeed3's and for the dollar they are a lot of performance. I don't think it would beat my stock LS1, I am pretty confident it could take a stock LT1, (especially at higher speeds).

Also, all cars are paid off, so whatever I do I should have instant equity in the new/used purchase. Can anyone offer there opinions?

thanks in advance for all your input.

Last edited by floridaz28; 05-30-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

id dump the cougar, do a t56 swap into the camaro and get the trans am. the camry will work as a daily driver.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would get rid of the cougar and get the bird
Old 05-30-2008, 08:11 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't get crap for that Cougar. I had an 02 V6 sport that was worthless when I tried to sell it.

If you feel it's reliable, then keep it, but those 2.5's are ticking bombs.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Teching In

LOL, having two LS1's was not really one of the options I had on there. I wish i could have 10 muscle cars. I need two daily drivers and one weekend car (the camaro or firebird). Both daily drivers need to practical and somewhat economical.

Anyways, I test drove the mazdaspeed3 today. Very nice, had a lot of quickness, and you could really feel the turbo. Comparingly you can really feel the torque in the Z28 much better at full throttle. I don't really like the short gear ratio's in the mazda. you have to shift to third just to get to 60mph.

I think I am going to put a for sale sign on the cougar until it sells, because I won't get anything on a trade. After it sells, if ever, then I will exercise my options.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a normal mazda3 and i am not gonna lie, besides being a "girls car" i loved it. was cool ride.

Quick Reply: Which new (maybe used) car to get?!! NEED HELP DECIDING!!