Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Turbo Questions

Does anyone have any turbo experience? I'm looking to do a turbo with a blow through carb. My question is what size waste gate do I need? The guy at TiAL said I need a 60mm gate. I'm sure he knows what he is talking about, but I would just like to know what other people think. Any information would greatly appreciated.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post up more info about your setup....
Old 10-25-2008, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Sorry for lack of info. I have a 58mm turbo, going onto a relatively stock 350 sb chev. I am looking to make between 5 and 10 lbs of boost. This is just my test engine, once I get a handle on the tune up, I'll be doing same set up on some LSX combo. Again, any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your turbo is too small that will likely choke you car and probably wont hold even 5psi to 5500 rpm. two 58mm's would work ok. for single plan on a minimum of 67mm and even that is small. what are your power goals? what rpm do you plan to spin the motor to? what type of use? I think these questions need to be answered first. plus a different turbo selected. to give you an idea I ran a 57mm bb turbo on 2.0l 4cyl and it was instant boost and I ran out of compressor flow on that engine at 7500 rpm
Old 10-26-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/
Old 10-26-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ten5nova
Sorry for lack of info. I have a 58mm turbo, going onto a relatively stock 350 sb chev. I am looking to make between 5 and 10 lbs of boost. This is just my test engine, once I get a handle on the tune up, I'll be doing same set up on some LSX combo. Again, any info would be greatly appreciated.
I know a great, knowledgeable guy that can supply all you parts and answer all your questions about your build. Do a search for Modular Turbo Design. Rob at Modular Turbo is a vendor here and he is the man...
Old 10-30-2008, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

New plan.... I have a 70mm turbo coming now, as part of a kit. Still looking to make about 5 to 10 lbs of boost. Kit has a flange for a 38mm waste gate. Is that too small? TiAL said I need a 60mm wastegate. I weld for a living, so a new flange would not be a problem. As far as a power range, I'm not really shooting for any particular number at this point. With this engine I'm looking to just make the damn thing run with a safe tune up. The 350 I'm testing with is junk, might make 400 on boost. If it knocks the rods out I don't care. I suppose I'll be spinning about 5500 to 6k rpm. This combo is going into a 72 Chevelle, street/strip car, no road course crap or anyting like that. Also, if anyone has any leads on a used blow through carb let me know. I'm looking for a 4150 holley style, 750 I guess would be about right, brand is not crucial at this point. Thanks everyone that has replied to my thread!!!

Quick Reply: Turbo Questions