Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which headers and accesories for drop in G-body swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which headers and accesories for drop in G-body swap

Hey guys, Im swapping a 05 LQ4 into my 86 monte carlo and I was wondering which accessories have worked for those who have done this swap or know for a fact what works and what doesn't. All I have right now is the stock water pump and crank pully and I would like to know if I can interchange accessories between models. Basically, I think I will need the car setup but I already have the truck water pump and I would just use that if I could. Please not I will not be running A/C. Sorry for rambling but I tried explaining without being too confusing. Let me know, Thanks guys.

Sam
Old 10-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Launching!

You can use the F-body acessories...or this one

I believe the G-body has a little more height in the engine bay, so you MIGHT be able to use the truck acessories/alternator bracket.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

yeah i think G-body used the truck stuff, he might chime in on this. I used F-body accesories.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Launching!

So then they both work..? How about interchanging between truck and f-body? That was I wouldnt have to buy the water pump. Any chance anyone has a set of accessories for me to buy?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Launching!

What about A/C? Living in Texas I cant believe people would give up their A/C for anything lol.

Im going to be doing a Grand National swap with twins in January so Im just gathering info too.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

I dont think you can mix accessories. the spacing on the pullies from the block are different. and the F-body accessories wont work with a truck intake, things hit each other.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:25 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should be able to use either the f-body or truck accys. You have a very limited ability to mix and match the accys. The belt on the truck accys sits 3/4" further forward than the f-body stuff.

The truck accys will fit right under the hood of a G-Body cutlass without any problems, on my El Camino I have about 3/8" clearance between the hood bracing and the top of the alt....so I had to remove the underhood blanket. On a monte I don`t know for sure because I don`t know if it has a lower hood line then the ElCamino or cutlass. But you can change the alternator to a f-body alt and gain some room (f-body alt has the same bolt spacing but smaller diameter)

Now to what interchanges. You can use a truck crank pulley and water pump with f-body accys if you put 3/4" spacers behind the accy brackets, but you cannot use the f-body pulley with the truck accys.
You can use the f-body water pump with the truck accys by putting spacers behind the pump....however then you will have to remove the upper rad hose to change the belt. The alternators are interchangeable, but remember that the truck one has a larger diameter. The power steering pumps are not interchangeable.

Quick Reply: Which headers and accesories for drop in G-body swap