Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upcoming LSx swapped 83 Malibu wagon

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upcoming LSx swapped 83 Malibu wagon

As I start to gather my parts for my LSx swapped 83 Malibu Wagon I figured I’d start a thread post all of the relevant information regarding the swap. I am going to post what parts I am planning on putting in the car but am also up to suggestions as to anything that people may find

The car is an 83 Malibu Wagon, 305/auto car with 63,000 original miles. I purchased it recently with intentions of this swap. But my plan is to make it a good (very good) running street car. Keeping the A/C along with having the car maintain a somewhat stock appearance

For now I have thrown on a set of 17” ZR-1 wheels but am planning on Rallye wheels w/ Disc Brake center caps

As for the swap-
Engine
I am planning on an lq4 6.0. I am planning on the 6.0 to keep the lower compression incase the car ends up being boosted in the future. I am going to try to keep the accessories near stock with the possibility of using an F-body alternator and the chance that I may move the AC pump to the top to keep from having to notch the frame for it.
The plan is to use Carshop mounts keeping the engine with proper clearance from the AC/heater box. I am also planning on BRP headers.
I am probably going to cam the engine before it is installed. The cam is still up in the air as far as any specs. Down the road I plan to install L92 heads but that is in the future.

The engine will probably be sprayed (n2o) with a small shot upon putting it together

Cooling
I am planning a 3 or 4 core stock radiator, electric fans, and shroud delete panel.

Fuel
I am going to keep the car injected as that seems a better alternative to buying an intake/MSD for the $$ when I already have to upgrade the fuel system and can have the wiring harness done for less money.
The harness btw is going to be a modified stock harness through Wait4me.
As for the rest of the fuel system I am going to run a stock tank, sumped with a kit from Competition Engineering, an Aeromotive A1000 pump, proper filters and -6 hose to the engine. I am also going to use -6 for the return going into the stock sump location. (I may possibly go with -8 line but am unsure if that is necessary)

Transmission
I would like to use a 4l60 in the car for the overdrive, along with the low 1st gear that will help as I am only planning on a 3.55 or 3.73 gear.
I would also like to keep the column shifter as the car currently has a bench seat that I plan on keeping

Rear end
I think the best value is stepping right to a 9” either from Moser or Quick Performance.

Gauges
I would like to keep the interior/dash a stock looking as possible. I’m not too sure on how I am going to accomplish this whether I use stock gauges along with the proper adapters or I build a stock appearing housing and use aftermarket 3 3/8” speedo and tach in the stock locations, along with using the stock oil/water/fuel gages.

Thoughts and comments on this setup will be appreciated as will suggestions on what you would do.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We have had people do g-body conversions a few different ways, I would suggest the 1" setback mounts or the s-10 conversion mounts using 2.8 lower mounts.

The s-10 mounts allow you to adjust the postion of the engine, it looks like you have a very clean car there I can't wait to see it done.
Elec
Old 12-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Carshopinc.com
We have had people do g-body conversions a few different ways, I would suggest the 1" setback mounts or the s-10 conversion mounts using 2.8 lower mounts.

The s-10 mounts allow you to adjust the postion of the engine, it looks like you have a very clean car there I can't wait to see it done.
Elec
Thank you

I will probably be going with the s-10 mounts so I can position the engine where I want. I'll be contacting you next week sometime

As an update I picked up an advertised complete "5.3" along with 4l80e trans.
The guy owned the truck from new and didn't realize he had a 6.0

It is a 2000 lq4 engine so off the iron heads are coming and on with l92's/l76 intake.

I thought for a moment about running a carb but would like to keep everything under the stock hood.

Over the last few weeks I have been piecing together the fuel system.
so far:
sumped tank
-8 feed
-6 return
all fittings

I still need to get a capable pump.

The plan is to run an s10 4l60e so the torque converter spacing is correct.
I have found one, just need the time to go pick it up.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

why not stick with the 4l80e tranny. if you have performance mods planned for the future you might wish you had one.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Teching In

if the 4l80e is a 2wd trans id stick with that. even though they rob a little more power
Old 12-26-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

cool wagon! i like the zr1 wheels
Old 12-26-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

im running a 4l60 in my bu and a compushift controller with twist paddleshifter... that will drive a 4l80 just as fine...

let me know if you need a single turbo setup for an LS in a g-body... ;-)

Quick Reply: Upcoming LSx swapped 83 Malibu wagon