Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st post, big question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st post, big question

Hey everybody, I've been sifting through all the info that this website has to offer for a couple months now and decided it was time to join. Here's my situation: I bought a 63 Nova SS and, as I'm sure you've guessed, I have the lofty goal of stuffing a LS1/T56 in it. With that being said, I need an engine/tranny. Here comes the question: where is the best place to look for one? I've been all over ebay and there seems to be tons of 'em available. My problem is I'm not sure exactly what to look for or who is or isn't a reliable seller. I don't necessarily want to rebuild the bottom end so how many miles can a bottom end handle before reliability issues come into play? It seems ls1 bottom ends are really stout. Which donor car is the best to look for? I thought I read somewhere GTO's work best for my Nova because the oil pan has the best clearance (I'm not that worried about this I guess). Basically I want a reliable bottom end so how many miles should the engine have on it, where do I look, and how much should I expect to pay for the combo? Thanks.

PS~ Be gentle, it's my first time.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heh - welcome aboard, it should be a ton o' fun when you're finished with it!

As far as 'where to get the donor engine/trans from', well, locally is usually best, because then you can generally pull the pan/covers to check for obvious problems. Of course that's not always possible, so the next-best thing is to do what you can to buy from a "known good" seller. I'm guessing that you already know about feedback systems, whether on e-bay or on message boards like this one, but it's also helpful to remember that a lot of boards have sections that are devoted to buyer and/or seller feedback - reviewing those before sending money can be helpful as well. I bought my engine from another member on this board, & from what I can tell so far, it doesn't appear to be split down the middle or anything... (Just messin' with ya Shawn!)

If you can't find what you're looking for from anywhere else, you can always try the national parts houses - I've used Car-Part.com and LKQ personally, but there are probably more out there...

Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
I bought my engine from another member on this board, & from what I can tell so far, it doesn't appear to be split down the middle or anything... (Just messin' with ya Shawn!)
I know where you live TK

I think if you could buy a crashed but running car or find a yard that will run it b4 you buy would increase your odds.

Though, to be honest, I cannot remember reading about anyone who got a bad engine. And I hit these conversion sites pretty hard.

Good luck, a LS1/T56 nova is guarantied cool!
Old 11-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Launching!

To start off, are you a member of steve's nova site? i bought mine from a junk yard. the car got t-boned and i got a lot of stuff... shop around
Old 11-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Yes, I just joined Steve's Nova Site. Thanks a bunch guys, I appreciate the help. Now I just need some tax refund money...I can't wait for january. yeah, you don't see too many 1st gen nova's runnin' ls1's. It would be serious bitchin' factor. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 1st post, big question