Sponsored by:

Help on A-body headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Help on A-body headers

Hi, I have been following some threads on headers.
I have a 6.0 going into a 70 Chevelle, but right now the big hurdle is headers (specifically header prices).
I have read that Roller406Bu, Silverbullet73 and JohnB have used F-body headers on their G-bodies, and since the G & the A bodies are almost identical I might imagine that these would fit on my chassis. But then again 72Chevelle6.0 used 2000 truck headers on his A-body.
I know there are specific fit Hookers and Edelbrocks but I am trying to pull this one on a tight budget.
I wouldn't want to resort to using the F-body manifolds until I can afford the specific headers, the Truck manifolds did not fit, these hit the frame as they curve outside on the flange.
Thanks a lot, I really look forward to getting your input.
Rat Chevelle
Old 11-18-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Edelbrock swap headers and very pleased with the fit and finish... before that I just used the stock F-body OEM Manifold. So, depending on how long it will be before you can afford some good headers.. you might just go with some stock manifolds for the time being.

If not, some used F-body headers will get you by for now also. Some fitment may be required (big hammer). But looking in the long run picture, you might try and come up with the cash now for the headers that you will end up with anyway.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I second what Bczee says if you can postpone the project being done another month or two and save for the Edelbrocks it would be well worth it. Otherwise I would do some stock manifolds for the time being. Used F-body headers are another viable option but I believe you have to modify one of the collectors because it points the wrong direction.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the S&P mid lengths, they work pretty good
Old 11-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

I have the Hooker swap headders in my 68 Cutlass. These fit great and very snug to the under side of the car. They dumped right into my BRP trans cross member though. Had to cut some half-moons out to get the exhaust by. Every decision seems to impact somehting else...

Eric
Old 11-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

i have the edelbrock swap headers new in box, 550 plus shipping, they say for 64 to 67 a body, not sure if they will work with a 70 or not tho

Quick Reply: Help on A-body headers