Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery relocation and MSD 6010 box

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery relocation and MSD 6010 box

I just relocated my battery and installed a cutoff switch. I was told that I needed a way to kill the alternator too or else the truck would keep running. Instead of running more heavy wire from the alternator all the way back to the battery(16ft), couldn't I just kill the ignition? I could just wire my 6010 box directly to the cutoff switch and with no ignition, the motor won't run, so the alt won't have a charge....right? Is there any problem with wiring the MSD box directly to the battery/cutoff switch? Is 8ga. good enough? And should I install a fuse or relay or something(I don't know crap about electrical stuff)?
Old 12-16-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually, now that I thought about it more, I don't think it'll work because the ALT is still going to keep the ignition alive if I put it on the OUT side of the cutoff switch. If I wire the ignition to the BAT side, it's always going to be on. I guess I have to go buy more wire.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i put my bat in the trunk, but i ran the alt wire back to the bat, using #4 wire
where would you wire your msd box to? if you had it on the bat side of the cutoff sw, it would keep running-if you wired it to the other side, the alt would keep it running(thru the bat wire to the trunk)
you could prob mount the relay up front, with a switch, then run the wire to the back-at least a #10, but i would prefer bigger, due to voltage loss(ohms law, lol)
Old 12-16-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I'm just going to scrape up some more cash for some 4ga wire to run the ALT wire back to the battery. Thanks for the heads up bro.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't wire your alternator to the battery. You risk overcharging the battery that way. This site has a good explanation of what needs to be done

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...evymain1.shtml

Run the alternator and alternator sensing wire to a common terminal in the engine compartment. Run a 10 guage charging wire to the battery along with a fuse or fuseable link.

Or better yet, buy a Moroso battery disconnect switch and wire it up like the direction here. That way you don't need to run as much 10 guage wire if you put the switch up in the engine compartment somewhere. Only the starter wire needs to go from the engine to the battery.

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/images/74102_inst.pdf
Old 12-16-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I didnt read all that as im drunk. Here's what to do. I ran 0awg THNN to the big alternator connection. This is not necessary i just i just had extra battery cable. you only need 10awg. This is the one that 'charges' your battery. Run you engine 10,000 rpms forever and you battery will NEVER charge. You need an LS1 connector and you need to give power to pin "whatever the ****" to make it charge. You do this and you burn up the alternator. You need to solder a 470ohm resister to this 12volt wire connecting to the alternator.

Most reccoment a 1 watt 470 come resister, a 1/2 watt works fine. you can get them from radio shack and they will sell you a 3 pack for $.99. If you do not solder this with the 12v wire (it reduces it to the pcms 4.7v or whater) it will burn your alternator up. I ran it with my ignition switch.

Sorry if these questions were already answered im too intoxiacted to read. I'll forgot what i was replyuing to by the time i poast.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I appreciate the replies guys. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Battery relocation and MSD 6010 box