Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel System Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel System Help

So I am redoing the fuel system to accommodate the new motor and aluminum tank, and have some questions. I will be using Aeroquip start-lite hose, or something similar. When I make the connections to the fuel pump, and filter, does each piece have to be made specifically? I can't cut and attach my own hose ends can I? And what should I run as far a filters? I plan on a 40 micron after the pump, I hear some guys say that will be fine, and others suggest a filter before the pump too. And last question, when I reach the engine bay, I plan on having a Billet fuel log to feed the double pumper, should I mount it facing forwards, and have the fuel line go all the way up to the front of the motor and up to the top? Or can I run it up the back of the motor somehow. I just don't know if it would interfere with the headers, or other sharp objects. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

What's vehicle is it in ? You should run a return line also, best way for consistent pressure and easier on the pump.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

People typically buy the hose and fittings separately then custom make each line to fit. Real easy to do, especially if you use the push on type hose. Aeroquip calls their's socketless hose, Russell calls theirs twist loc and Jegs has a store brand called push-loc. Just make sure you use the same brand hose and fittings

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10019_-1_10267

Typically you want a 40 micron or coarser filter before the pump to protect it from coarse chunks of debris. You don't want too fine of a filter before the pump since they can push the fuel better than they can suck it. After the pump you should use a 10 micron filter. Here is a good write up on fuel systems

http://www.centuryperformance.com/fu...e-spg-140.html

As for running the line to your double pumper, do whichever way looks best and that you have the most room for. I originally had my regulator mounted on the firewall so I ran the fuel line in at the back of the motor. But when I added a 10 micron filter just before the carb, I ran the fuel line to the front of carb cause I needed to mount the filter toward the front of the engine bay. I used Russel braided fuel line, but even with that it was very easy to cut new hose and replumb everything. The fuel inlet I used could be fed from either end.

Do yourself a favor and plan everything out before you start buying stuff. I ended up spending quite a bit more plumbing the fuel system then I origianally budgeted.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Cool, thanks guys. Just the answers I was looking for. It's going in my '68 Chev truck. I am going to use whichever brand our local hydraulic shop carries, and have them make it. That way it can go on the company account =]