Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fueling options for EFI FI estimated 600rwhp 69 Nova?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fueling options for EFI FI estimated 600rwhp 69 Nova?

Well what are my options. I dont care about noise from the fuel pump... this is gunna be a nasty little street strip car. Not 100% sure what I am going to use as a power adder, but my goals are in the 500-600rwhp range. Going to be using a 6.0l LQ4 and 4l80E or turbo 400, and the stock truck computer.

Do I have any in tank or replacement tank options? Can I modify my stock tank? Also what size lines should I run? I do not mind an external unit, but I want to make sure I dont have any "low fuel" problems. I have all the resources I need to modify anything i want, but "easy" and "cheap" are more desirable than "pretty" or "quiet"

Once again I dont care about noise...so external pumps are a legitimate option! The car wont even have A/C, it will be a fun car only. Also I want the best "bang for my buck"... This car is on a serious diet budget. I was going to get an Fbody and put my setup in it, but I already own the nova and it's got the cool factor of being an older car... and the body work is done already lol.

So things to consider:
-CHEAP
-Noise isnt an issue
-would like to have it be at least 700-800hp capable on gas in case we ever get a convenient E85 pump. Head room is nice, but not mandatory.
-would like to keep the tank, or a compatible replacement tank in stock location... no fuel cells. Must be street legal!
Old 01-20-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 for the Nova... I have a 71 also for a DD. I'll be following your built !

I would think that you might want to go with a proven Trans for the Street/Strip.. a built TH400 or Powerglide, the 4L80e would take a lot to make it turn.

The only option I can think about is using one of those Aeromotive intank unit or a duel walbro 255 setup. 1/2" for sure for that power rating. There are some stock type tanks that are not being market, or a SS tank by Ricks or Rock Valley for a intank EFI setup.. but not sure if it will be enough for your HP output.

If not Aeromotive External.... A2000 or A1000 but there are many options. I guess you will be receiving many.. good luck
Old 01-20-2009, 04:03 PM
11 Second Club

IMO cheap, easy and un-natural aspiration are words that do not go together.

If I where you I would run a custom tank, baffled with a 1/2" pick up minimum. -08 line and a Bosch 044, Weldon, or Aero A1000 fuel pump with a pre-filter and after-filter, then -08 up to a boost referenceing regulator and then -08 back to the tank for the return. Also you need to consider your fuel rails, a big pump and big lines dont mean anything when the fuel rail will not move the fuel to the injectors.

Fuel system overkill on an FI motor is a good thing.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:20 PM
9 Second Club

Weld a sump to the stock tank with AN fittings coming out..... Preferably a 12an fitting or two so you can upgrade to a twin pump if need be later...

12AN line to the pre filter, Weldon 600A or preferably an Aeromotive A1000. Check the streetability of the A1000 without their fuel pump controller.... I used to run a weldon 600a on the street and it put down an easy 625RWHP with more if I wanted it....

after the pump run a post filter then 10an up to the y-block, twin 8's to the rails, twin 6's to each side of the regulator and 6AN all the way back to the stock return on the tank.... and you'll probably need like 50lb/hr injectors...
Old 01-21-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like some good advice above. Anything with that much HP is gonna be expensive.

One suggestion I have seen in the past is to use dual 3/8" lines in place of a 1/2" line. If you are going hardline the smaller diameter is much easier to work with.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
Weld a sump to the stock tank with AN fittings coming out..... Preferably a 12an fitting or two so you can upgrade to a twin pump if need be later...

12AN line to the pre filter, Weldon 600A or preferably an Aeromotive A1000. Check the streetability of the A1000 without their fuel pump controller.... I used to run a weldon 600a on the street and it put down an easy 625RWHP with more if I wanted it....

after the pump run a post filter then 10an up to the y-block, twin 8's to the rails, twin 6's to each side of the regulator and 6AN all the way back to the stock return on the tank.... and you'll probably need like 50lb/hr injectors...
Talk about overkill for 600whp. You can use -6 or 5/16" lines with a walbro 255 intank and 255 inline to EASILY fuel 600whp on low boost. Use a boost referenced fpr as well. You've got to be kidding me with recommending an a1000 or a weldon, they're loud and not streetable, not to mention RIDICULOUSLY expensive. A bosch 044 or twin walbro 255s is a great idea. And running a -10 on a 1000whp car, sure, running a -10 for 600whp? You sure like wasting money.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by themachasy
Talk about overkill for 600whp. You can use -6 or 5/16" lines with a walbro 255 intank and 255 inline to EASILY fuel 600whp on low boost. Use a boost referenced fpr as well. You've got to be kidding me with recommending an a1000 or a weldon, they're loud and not streetable, not to mention RIDICULOUSLY expensive. A bosch 044 or twin walbro 255s is a great idea. And running a -10 on a 1000whp car, sure, running a -10 for 600whp? You sure like wasting money.
Yeah thats kinda what I was thinking... I Called the guys at Rock Valley and they quoted me around 1200$ or so for a nice SS custom tank with an in tank walbro. He said he rated that pump at 640fwhp. He said He could do a double pumper as well for some extra, but I may just add the second pump later if I need it. Im still open to suggestions though! I like the idea on the Bosch 044 though!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:16 AM
9 Second Club

Talk about overkill for 600whp. You can use -6 or 5/16" lines with a walbro 255 intank and 255 inline to EASILY fuel 600whp on low boost. Use a boost referenced fpr as well. You've got to be kidding me with recommending an a1000 or a weldon, they're loud and not streetable, not to mention RIDICULOUSLY expensive. A bosch 044 or twin walbro 255s is a great idea. And running a -10 on a 1000whp car, sure, running a -10 for 600whp? You sure like wasting money
It's called room to grow. a Weldon 600A number 1 is not loud and number two isn't expensive. You're thinking about a 2025 or a 2035. A1000's are used are a TON of street cars. And wow i just googled the weldon 600a and it's 352.00 I didn't know that was extremely expensive.... You must like building fuel systems that can ONLY make the fuel demands for what you currently have. So then when you decide to step it up you outgrow your fuel system. That's pretty smart.... And considering this is a boosted application what happens when he decides "hmmmmm I can turn the boost up two more lbs and pick up another 50 whp or another 100 or so..... well he can't cuz the fuel system is already maxed... Wasting money is buying **** that is going to be sub-optimal when you decide to turn up the boost or strap on better heads or put a bigger shot on the motor and you realize your fuel system is inadequate. I say do it once and do it right.... With a regulator can you have TOO MUCH FUEL???? YOu could probably spend about a grand on this fuel system if you have a hookup who can weld the sump onto your tank. sump is like 100 bucks, pump 350, regulator 150, lines/fittings 200-250... so a grand to feed your FI motor that you probably have like 10 grand in....

A very knowledgeable and successful racer and engine builder once told me "There is two things you can NEVER spend enough money on when it comes to a performance car. Oiling system, and fuel system. cause both of those keep your motor alive"
Old 01-21-2009, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

Outlawz nailed it, I like that qoute btw

I run a Delco EP381 intank (Walbro 255 equivlant) and an Bosch 044 external for my 500rwhp setup. I have plenty of fuel for what ever i want to do with my stock bottom end 6.0
Old 01-21-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

It's called room to grow. a Weldon 600A number 1 is not loud and number two isn't expensive. You're thinking about a 2025 or a 2035. A1000's are used are a TON of street cars. And wow i just googled the weldon 600a and it's 352.00 I didn't know that was extremely expensive.... You must like building fuel systems that can ONLY make the fuel demands for what you currently have. So then when you decide to step it up you outgrow your fuel system. That's pretty smart.... And considering this is a boosted application what happens when he decides "hmmmmm I can turn the boost up two more lbs and pick up another 50 whp or another 100 or so..... well he can't cuz the fuel system is already maxed... Wasting money is buying **** that is going to be sub-optimal when you decide to turn up the boost or strap on better heads or put a bigger shot on the motor and you realize your fuel system is inadequate. I say do it once and do it right.... With a regulator can you have TOO MUCH FUEL???? YOu could probably spend about a grand on this fuel system if you have a hookup who can weld the sump onto your tank. sump is like 100 bucks, pump 350, regulator 150, lines/fittings 200-250... so a grand to feed your FI motor that you probably have like 10 grand in....

A very knowledgeable and successful racer and engine builder once told me "There is two things you can NEVER spend enough money on when it comes to a performance car. Oiling system, and fuel system. cause both of those keep your motor alive"

I agree completely- but you miss my point- the weldon and aeromotive stuff is not held to the same standard as an 044 or a 255. I'd way rather run the bosch pumps, they're quiet and great, and will support nearly 700hp each. I do 4 cylinder fuel systems that need significantly beefier everything because we run 40psi of boost and it really kills the idea of running a simple pump. The bosch 044 is an awesome pump, and one on an inefficient application like my little 4 cylinder will make 700whp with something like 80psi of fuel pressure..... Also, about outflowing lines- I don't think you will. A 255 intank+255 inline (~$70 each) will do more than the nova will make- 2 044s (~$250 each) sumped from the tank will be good for nearly 1000whp on moderate boost with some not so crazy sized lines.

My main point is bosch and walbro are oem suppliers, and I trust the pumps (and know they're a bit quieter) than a weldon or aeromotive. You mistook my point- not to underbuild the fuel system but that for every budget and power level there is a good way to do things. Putting a big weldon and -10 lines and all that isn't the solution I'd do for the OP. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by themachasy; 01-21-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
Outlawz nailed it, I like that qoute btw

I run a Delco EP381 intank (Walbro 255 equivlant) and an Bosch 044 external for my 500rwhp setup. I have plenty of fuel for what ever i want to do with my stock bottom end 6.0
Your build thread was what I needed to see! Thanks! Im going to see if I cant track down a spectra unit for my car... I see they make an F-body unit, and I know the Novas and Fbody's share a lot of stuff, but I need to see if they share tanks too.

So is your car tuned and running yet? I am interested to see what kind of numbers you put down... I was actually considering a maggie because the truck guys are selling them for dirt cheap right now, and I dont want to spent the next four years building this damn thing if I can help it... I love to fabricate, but the turbo system I have planned is rather complex and I would want to do it right... and doing it right = time.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:54 PM
9 Second Club

Don't get me wrong I know those pumps that you listed will do the job.... I'm just one for overkill when it comes to fuel system. Cause you can never have too much fuel. When you run a big pump and big lines and can still run on the street you can tune it down with the fuel pressure/tune.....

Being a forced induction setup they have BIG fuel requirements. And the ability to easily make more power with smaller pulleys, wastegate adjustments, etc.. it's just too easy. And for me running 80 psi of fuel pressure is a band aid for a fuel supply system that was undersized from the outset when it was drawn up.... If you have to run your injectors at more than 50 psi you most likely need bigger injectors...

If a customer of mine wants a fuel system to handle 600 wheel hp I will engineer him a system that could safely handle (about 90% maxed out) about 800 wheel hp.... that's complete like injectors, pump, lines, reg, etc..... cause the room above the curve to me is just as important as what's under it.... tomaTOE, TomaaahToe.... just two different ways of doing things.... I street drive a 9 second LT1 Camaro so it's obvious that i'll put up with a bit more noise than most..... And I have an Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator pump on my car and it's EXTREMELY LOUD....
Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 PM
11 Second Club

Weldon is an OEM for aircraft fluid system pumps, I trust them a bit more than a automotive OEM.

Adam: It is running but still tuning for idle. The guys at Magnacharger are a great bunch, they write me baseline tunes for free and have given me 100% support for my build. I expect 450ish rwhp the way it is right now. I am going to pulley down to 3.1", run the new Ford 80-something lbs injectors, change to a 90mm TB and replace the LS6 springs for a good set of duals. I would like to eventually pulley down to 2.8", that is depending on IATs with the 3.1" though. I am switching to E-85 also here this summer, the reason I have a lot of fuel delivery built in. I nthe end I would like to see 525rwhp on this set up.

Last edited by ryanvv355; 01-21-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Being a forced induction setup they have BIG fuel requirements. And the ability to easily make more power with smaller pulleys, wastegate adjustments, etc.. it's just too easy. And for me running 80 psi of fuel pressure is a band aid for a fuel supply system that was undersized from the outset when it was drawn up.... If you have to run your injectors at more than 50 psi you most likely need bigger injectors...
45psi base fuel pressure (3 bar)+ 40 psi of boost= 85psi on a boost referenced setup, which you need to overcome the pressure on the bottom of the injector. Running 80psi base fuel pressure would be a bad idea. Considering a bosch 044 will run around ~600-700whp in those conditions, I think one should do fine for the OP. Quiet too.

Quick Reply: Fueling options for EFI FI estimated 600rwhp 69 Nova?