Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stacking coil packs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stacking coil packs.

Can the stock LS2 coil pack assemblies be stacked?
I want to relocate the assumblies off the valve covers but the location requires I stack the two assemblies. I am concerned there my be some EM cross talk from one coil to the other. I guess I could place a shield between the two but unsure what material to use or if I even need to. Obviously lateral proximity is not an issue but unsure if having two coils stacked closely would create a problem.

Thanks for your help
Old 01-24-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Myself, I think I'd be a bit more concerned with temperature issues with them stacked - I'd think that a fairly thin piece of aluminum sheet stacked between the coils (& electrically connected to ground) would provide enough shielding for the EM cross-talk...

Anyone else?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Myself, I think I'd be a bit more concerned with temperature issues with them stacked - I'd think that a fairly thin piece of aluminum sheet stacked between the coils (& electrically connected to ground) would provide enough shielding for the EM cross-talk...

Anyone else?
Kind of what I was thinking. Seems that the packs sitting on top the valve covers would be more at risk of heat than sitting in an area once used for the windshield wiper assembly.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you look at some of the coil relocatoin kits.. they pertty much stack them. Turn sideways, and using a long threaded rod and some Alum tubing as spacer. They are just bolted together and move to where you want them.