Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3l in a 65 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3l in a 65 mustang

Newb here, sorry if the questions are elementary, but i am very very interested in putting one of these motors into my mustang. i am not very knowledgable about the whole LSx thing, but I plan on doing a mustang II front suspension in order to make room for the motor so im not to worried about the actual mounting or fitment of the swap but i have no clue as to whats involved on the electrical side.

Here goes-

If i am starting with a complete intake to pan 5.3l with harness and computer will i be able to integrate the stock motor harness into my new 18 circuit painless harness i just installed in the mustang?

Where can i find a wiring diagram for the 5.3's motor harness?

What sensors or parts can be eliminated since this will be a non smog car?

thanks for any suggestions-Nick
Old 02-16-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

I used AllDataDIY.com for my swap. I think its still $25 for one vehicle for a year. It's worth it to download and print everything for your engine wiring and have it in front of you while looking at your harness. Get all the connector diagrams, pinouts, schematics and distribution drawings for your donor vehicle. What year is your engine? Good luck with the swap too. Should be nice light vehicle.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Also, you should be able to eliminate evap solenoid, gas tank vent solenoid, AC if not wanted, oil level indication if not wanted (not the dipstick, the electrical plug in the oil pan.), rear O2 sensors, Catalytic convertors, and depending on engine year I think EGR if it has it. You can thin the harness of those things, add wiring for fan relays, add temp sensor to passenger head for your cars temp guage, add oil pressure sensor to block behind intake or above oil filter to your cars pressure guage, fuse relay center for engine harness, electric fuel pump to tank, pressure regulator and various other stuff.

Quick Reply: 5.3l in a 65 mustang