Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini-starter

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini-starter

I've got to purchase a starter, since my engine didn't include one. I saw this on Summit and noticed that it really isn't that much more expensive then a autoparts starter.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Does anyone have a picture of one of these next to a regular starter? Is it really that much smaller? I was thinking that it might make header a selection a little easier.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a side-byside photo. I bought one of those Summit starters but had to return it due to fit issues for my application. In one position, the hot terminal was too close to the engine block, and in the other the housing was too close to my LS6 header. No other clocking position worked out. Anyway, that starter is actually kinda big where as the stock starter is a little longer but sits tucked closer to the engine block and stays out of the way. I looked into smaller starters a couple of years ago, and it seems to me there are other brands that are smaller; do a WEB search....Proform, Power Master, etc.

Andy1
Old 02-26-2009, 05:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same starter and returned it for the same reason as Andy1. The one I had didn't seem to fully engage the flywheel either.

But Summit seems to have redesigned the thing because several members have said the cable lugs are now on the proper side.

I don't have pics, but the starter is shorter than a stocker.

Quick Reply: Mini-starter