Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pan problems

I've got a 6.0 going in an '82 vette, I changed the truck oil pan out for an "F" body pan and pick-up tube, but when I try to bolt the F body pan to the block the F body tube is hitting the 2 reinforcement ribs inside the pan and on the baffle plate in the lower portion of the pan sump. I've trimmed the windage tray down so the pick-up tube clears it all the way down the side, but it's like the whole pick-up tube is hanging too low all the way down the passenger side of the pan. The tube is bolted up tight and straight. Is there a difference in the oil pump pick up tube mounting area between the 6.0 and 5.7 oil pumps, has anyone ran into this problem???? Should I just grind some reliefs in the reinforcement gussets and notch out the baffle plate on the side of the opening for the pick-up????
Any help appreciated.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You need to have the correct pickup tube for the pan. Obviously, the truck pickup will not work. You might want to order an F-body tube to match your F-body pan.

Russ
Old 03-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, but I do have the F body tube, I'm thinking it is probably bent out of it's original shape at the first bend coming out of the oil pump. It's just a guess I'll order a new one and compare them.