Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie with questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie with questions

I was looking to put a ls1 in a 68 camaro. I was told to use a 5.3l instead, it would be cheaper. whos mount kit are yall using? I was looking at brp. next question. what accessory set up should be used? the truck motor set dont look like it will work with the ls1 intake swap. this car will have ac put on it at the same time the swap is done. last question for now. who has the best deal on a gas tank with the pump in it? thanks for your help.
Jason
Old 03-09-2009, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

J -

1) 5.3s are generally cheaper than their 6.0L bretheren (even the iron truck motors). that doesn't mean you can't find a pretty sweet deal on an LQ4 or even and LS1/2.

2) carshop mount adapters are much cheaper (~$35 a set), and you reuse the stock-style mounts. you'd need to buy the rubber (or poly) motor mounts if yours can't be reinstalled. however, the brp install kit is only $479, and comes with a trans x-member.

3) you're correct, the truck accessory setup will not work with an ls1/6 intake. look at brp or s&p if you want to go aftermarket (I think the F-body/GTO accessories work other than the AC compressor, which requires notching the frame). brp offers an adapter bracket kit to alleviate this problem.

4) I don't know. I've got a fuel cell, so I'm going external. but Rick's Hot Rod Shop is one option.

and last, check out this thread in the FAQ section. it has basically everything you need to know. other than that, the 3rd gen nova (68-74) shares the same basic front subframe setup as the 67-69 camaros. since the nova is soooo much more popular , you could talk to the myriad of nova guys who've done the swap.

-Trev
Old 03-09-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speartech makes an idler relocator that allows the LS1/LS6 manifold to be used with the truck accesories.

Pat